1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bridge collapse in MSP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Aug 1, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Three confirmed dead now. I anticipate that toll going up.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe James Inhofe can come out again and rip the Arabs.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

And what time did this happen? I was listening to the Royals game (against the Twins) and there was no mention of it.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

They're saying around 6:10

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Local reporter on with FNC anchor...
    Has to report her family is ok...

Um....WHY?

6. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

The thing with this bridge is that it was made of a single 546 foot long steel arch that spanned from bank to bank across the river. There was no other support in the river to hold sections up. I've heard that the bridge buckled on the north side, then the center fell straight down 64 feet into the river, then the south side fell.

There was bumper to bumper traffic at about ten miles an hour on a single lane southbound and the north bound lane was moving normally. Hopefully that will keep any casualties to a minimum as was said earlier

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"I hate to use the term 'tossed around like toys,' but they were tossed around like toys." [FOX News]

8. markvid

markvid Guest

"We don't have earthquakes, we have tornadoes"
    Time to let this woman go.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just hope that this was an act of God and not negligence of an inspector looking the other way or too much weight on the bridge at any one time.

If there was only one lane of traffic on the bridge then I am guessing they were working on something. What was the repair on they were working with when the collapse happened?

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

A witness on CNN just reported that one police officer alone told him that he personally saw seven dead bodies. This is such a tragedy.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes. This is bad. It cannot be easily explained (earthquake, tornado, etc...). It is something man made, it broke and people died. It is very difficult to deal with a tragedy like that. America is supposed to have safeguards that ensure these things do not happen.

12. And good people, too. The "Minnesota Nice" thing is not a myth--at least based on my dealings with people from that area.

Draft saved Draft deleted