1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bridge collapse in MSP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 64 foot drop...

2. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

UNfortunately that bridge is too close to the Dome. If they cancel the game then they will send 7-10 thousand people rushing right at the area in which police and emergency personnel are trying to work.

So far there have been no reports of fatalities, but there are reports of a few cars overturned in the water and stuck underneath the bridge. No one has been able to get to anything under the bridge on the road that runs along the river, which is normally pretty busy at 6pm

ASnd to make matters worse the local radar shows that there may be rain on the way.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Olbermann doing a nice job running this on MSNBC...

4. Thanks for the info, Matt. Hope all your peoples are OK...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't see how this can be an accident. A whole bridge doesn't usually collapse from end to end. The I-40 accident in Oklahoma involved a barge ramming a support and only one section fell, and it killed 14 people.

6. The KSTP broadcast had a guy on a few minutes ago citing some cracks or what not in the bridge from a 2006 report.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

8. markvid

markvid Guest

What are you saying, F_B, sabotage?
    The thing was 40 years old.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They're saying that a jackhammer was going off as this happened. If there were cracks in the foundation, I'd imagine any small vibration in the right spot could've sent that thing hurtling.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This reminds me of the Tampa Bay bridge collapse 20-plus years ago, where the ship crashed into the bridge in heavy fog (IIRC) and part of it toppled, with car after car driving off it into the bay.

Fuck.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If he isn't, I am.

12. Yes, yes, by all means, we must promote The Fear.

Draft saved Draft deleted