1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bride dies during first dance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sense and sensibility.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I worked that night, and I can't think of too many nights I've heard more laughter and political incorrectness in the newsroom.
    We behaved tastelessly in the shop. It helped insure the next day's paper was tasteful.

3. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I cut a little slack to people whose gallows humor and similar "political incorrectness" are reactions to news that cuts too close to home -- or that they directly deal with in regularly reporting the news.

People who hear about an unusual death and immediately and reflexively go straight to some perverse punchline (without the above conditions in place) usually strike me as probably being so far from being in touch with their emotions that it's probably best they just keep joking about everything. Were they to let themselves feel, we might all be in trouble. Or maybe they're just assholes. Sometimes that explains everything, as much as you try to find some other explanation.

I'm also reminded of the line in "Broadcast News" about getting out of the business while you can still cry. Of course, that's a movie, and nobody in the cast dies in it, so where's the fun in that?

Yeah, this place is a bar for journalists, so anything goes, but it's also as public as any other Web site. Sometimes I fear someone who knows the victim in a case like this might do a Google search and stumble upon some of the flippant and callous remarks on here, and I cringe.

Joking to ease the tension when we put out a paper while we wondered how extensively America was under attack on 9/11 is one thing; cracking a one-liner because someone you've never heard of fell over and died during her wedding dance deserves something a little bit more complicated to hide behind than your line of work, unless you buried her or covered the story.

Fuck.

And terrier, the word you're looking for is "ensure."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

here's a towel, terry. dry your eyes and ask your wife to hold you tonight. you know how you feel better in the morning after a good cry.

5. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I didn't identify any assholes by name, because I was pretty sure the same ones who like to brag about it in PMs and on other threads would step forward on cue on this one.

My eyes are dry, Tom. I didn't cry about this woman, but I wasn't eager to make fun of her death either.I'm sure you can accomplish it by sunrise. Go ahead and get yourself another locked thread if that's going to make you happy. You know how you feel better in the morning after each one. It's a wonderful legacy you'll leave behind when one day you buy it.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you think i'm an asshole, eh?

well guess what? i think you come across as an indignant douche who believes he's morally superior to the rest of the folks who post here. i also believe you wait for openings to preach your indignant line of shit so you can feel better about yourself ... see 1:47 a.m. in my book, that makes you an asshole.

so i guess we're even, right?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And you're just an idiot, because you haven't figured out how to fuck. And I'm not that big either. About 5 feet, 10 inches, thank you.

Lighten up.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

psssst. the people who make fun of their own sexuality often are the folks who are most comfortable with their own sexuality. think about it.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And we're done here.

Congrats all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.