1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think i asked you this before.

What did you think of the two week jail terms for the plea bargainers?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No it was not just a civil fraud.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

“It’s so broad that it’s absurd”; what is “public loitering”? And how many “rich” people get charged with that? This is not the example to use about over charging and prosecutors run amok.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I doubt a person who wasn't a "nice wealthy white lady" would have gotten such a sweet deal.

Gonna say, "Fuck them." I'll cop to it being personal bias on my part after spending a chunk of my life trying to help people get life necessities.

I'll cop to it that my prejudice is informed by a conversation I had this morning with a friend living in a condo bought for them by family, driving a car bought by family and drawing disability for anixiety and depression because they don't want to touch their trust fund. This person complained to me they felt achy all over and the tornado siren went off and they thought there was a war and Trump is meeeeeeean and how sad is that. All I could think of were the clients who drag their own hurting asses to work at Walmart and Aldi and who pretend it's okay to go to bed hungry and let their DM and COPD go untreated because they can't afford to see a doctor. Meanwhile, this clueless person who never uttered a peep about kids in cages or dead Kurds is weepy because a tornado siren woke them up and it's Trump's fault they're scared.

So yeah, I know it's bad law and this makes me a bad person, but fuck anyone who cannot tell the difference between being inconvenienced and being grieviously injured. That would include Felicity F. Huffman and Lori F. Loughlin and their ridiculous crotchfruit.

FileNotFound, qtlaw, HanSenSE and 4 others like this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Crotchfruit. Stealing the shit out of that.

OscarMadison and heyabbott like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ridiculous Crotchfruit is a great self-titled album and first single. Or maybe a deep cut on a Pussy Riot album.

Either way, it’s today’s favorite phrase.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is this another prong of the argument 'they' do it to poor people so it's okay that 'they' do it to rich people?

Anyways, as Ragu pointed out in response to another example, public loitering involves the cops and the college scandal is about prosecutors. Yes, both are examples of hassling people, but the comparison ends there.

People have some concept of public loitering, even if cops will selectively enforce it as a pretext to a search. The prosecutor in Boston is poring over laws trying to find something to hang on these people after he has already charged them for their actions. It's not a pretext to finding something else criminal. It's punishment for wanting to go trial.

And the law is absurdly broad. The inclusion of organizations receiving $1oK from the federal government creates a completely separate class of people or entities covered by the law other than government bodies or officials. As I pointed out before, the bribe doesn't even need to relate to the government function of the organization receiving the money.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

OK, let's say it's civil fraud.

What is the proper fine that would send the proper message to a couple worth $100 million?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So the laws are on the books. Certain people just don't like the way they are enforced.

Okay.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Make them sell their children

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, there are no laws that cover what they did. That is the point. What they did wasn't criminal. The prosecutors are taking laws that were meant to address other things and using them to prosecute something they are hell bent on criminalizing after the fact. Then, when several of the parents had the temerity to not plea it out and the prosecutors were getting frustrated that some of the ones who did plea were getting lighter sentences than the prosecutors wanted, without a shred of new evidence that they didn't have when they first filed charges, they discovered new "crimes" carrying stiffer sentences. Why weren't they charged with those things months ago?

Maybe those tactics end up working, but it is prosecutorial overreach, and if you are on board with it because, "fuck them," then just realize that when abuses of their power land in places that you don't find so just, you were the guy who cheered it on when they were opening the barn door.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No idea. Those trials end with recovery of property or damages. You'd have to prove how they harmed you, and then the penalty would be based on that harm. I looked yesterday at what constitutes a civil fraud, and it was something like:

1) Misrepresentation of a material fact
    2) Made with knowledge of its falsity
    3) Made with intent to induce the victim to rely on the misrepresentation
    4) A victim relies upon the misrepresentation
    5) The victim suffers damages as a result and sues for recovery of property and for damages.

That is what happened here to a T. You couldn't write up a civil fraud any more clearly.

Draft saved Draft deleted