1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Prosecutorial overreach, or is it like impeachment, where there are so many layers to this, the longer you look, the more there are?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The actual legal experts on here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's a case of discovering more layers. I think it's a case of prosecutors who wanted to settle instead of going to trial with all of this, so they are going to put the screws to the people who decided to fight it.

It looks to me like Aunt Becky decided to play chicken with prosecutors and is going to lose.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you go into any case thinking settlement you’re already a loser. It’s all about leverage and your leverage is both the facts and your willingness to go to trial. If you’re not willing to go the distance you’re at a huge disadvantage. I just went to trial for five days when the other side could’ve taken a few dollars. They were totally unreasonable so we went to trial.
    Overreach only comes into play if there’s nothing to support the charge.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd take it a step further. There shouldn't even be a criminal case here. There are some very good civil fraud cases, if anyone cared to pursue them. ... although the colleges themselves would end up looking bad for being tacitly complict if they pursued them, and they'd harm their reputations even more than they already have been.

You are right. The fact that they used wire fraud and money laundering laws to go after the parents is all the evidence necessary to demonstrate that this was not about upholding the actual law, it was about finding laws that could be used to go after some very unsympathetic people. It's easy, because with near unanimity, people read about what was going on and their reaction was, "Fuck them." Just like on this thread.

But this just shouldn't be a criminal matter. ... except when you do justice by populism. The colleges themselves have teams of lawyers if they thought their reputations had been harmed by a fraud and there is a system that is actually set up to deal with that.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Then maybe they should have just taking the plea bargain with a couple weeks jail time and some house arrest.

6. poindexter

By the way, fuck them. They are horrible people. I hope they somehow die in jail.

7. poindexter

Ragu on Al Capone being put away on tax evasion:
    "Capone got railroaded"

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Um no.

I don’t have much sympathy for them, think they did something ethically wrong, and think the actress who isn’t taking the plea is probably setting herself up for punishment worse than what she could have faced.

It still doesn’t mean this is a legit criminal case.

Re: Capone. He actually committed all kinds of crimes that could have landed him in prison. These people are annoying and shitty and privileged, but they are not murderers being pursued on mail fraud charges because they can’t prove the murder in court.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    heyabbott likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If the government is going after some poor single mothers for not reporting cash income while collecting food stamps or welfare then fuck these rich punks by jailing them for awhile. But the spawns of the entitled elite need to punished for being wastes of humanity. Trump’s kids fall in that category, parasites.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I wrote an unreadable mob novel a few years back. One thing I learned is that charging someone with murder as part of a RICO indictment is considered completely different from a straight up murder charge.

I do think the authorities have to go after things like this. You're never going to wipe out corruption but you don't want it to become baked and settled in.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why then do police write tickets for jaywalking and broken tail lights against the poor?

12. poindexter

[​IMG]
    That's a great pic of Aunt Becky, pondering her future.

Draft saved Draft deleted