1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

The Magic Beans To Stuyvesant

But who really cares about these kids? The people who want to face the hard problems with real, proven solutions, like the dreaded Tiger Mom, calling out a culture of failure as well as a culture of racism, or the sweet, dulcet tones of those selling the snake oil of social justice to create a pretense of equity that is assured to reduce all to mediocrity at best?

The low-income Asian kids work their butts off to succeed, and they do. They know the answer, but that’s why they’re the majority of students in Stuyvesant and others are not. The path is obvious, but it means confronting the unpleasant reality of the lies and failures we pretend don’t exist. And it can’t be done overnight or with a magic bullet. It takes work.

Instead, we condemn black students to a future of failure by perpetuating the fantasy that it’s solely a product of racism, of victimhood. and they can’t be blamed for doing little to help themselves. Tell it to the low-income Asian kids who suffer to succeed.

*Lest this be misunderstood by the intellectually challenged, there are black students who desperately want to learn, to work hard, to achieve, but they are victims not only of societal racism, but their fellow students who make the education they seek impossible.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Just the facts ma am

A non magical-bean solution to improving black education.

Problem 1. Black poverty.

1a. Eliminate all government incentives to have children out of wedlock. No welfare, food stamps, Section 8, Medicaid, government cheese, Obama phones, subsidised child care.

1b. Eliminate the feudal/sharecropper system of government over regulation/exploitation of black people. Stop the drug war, eliminate cash bail, petty traffic fines, petty property fines, child support driven incarceration.

Problem 2. Bad black schools

Charter schools. The important thing is not better teachers or resources but the ability to kick out those black kids who are disruptive and don't want to learn. Some must get left behind for the greater good.

Problem 3. Students who don't want to learn because of problems 1 and 2.

Use cash incentives. Pay quarterly cash directly to students based on standardized test results for math and english grade levels. Say $25 for achieving an national average score, $50 for above average and $100 for way above average.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Don’t punish children for the decisions or actions of the parents.

1 person’s petty property crime is another person’s car, home or business. If you can’t t respect other people’s property and damage it, go to jail.

Most people don’t know shit about the drug war.

If you don’t pay middle class for the same things you pay ‘underprivileged kids’ you’ll build a generation of middle class who resent blacks which is how we got trump

4. Just the facts ma am

Sorry I did not mean petty property crimes. I mean homeowners regulations like not mowing your lawn or parking a broken down car on your lot. These may be appropriate in affluent communities. St. Louis was infamous in using this against poor black people and jailed them if they did not pay.

5. Just the facts ma am

I am not saying to pay incentives only to black students. However a means test seems appropriate.

6. Just the facts ma am

White people don't know shit about the drug war because it doesn't apply to them. It is a huge revenue source for the criminal justice system that is based on unequal enforcement of rules.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sad but true.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Agreed, certain communities near me have laws like that. The laws are from the 50’s when the area was strictly white blue collar. When it went to Majority black in the 80’s and Majority Hispanic about 15 years ago, the laws never changed. The enforcement now is a cover for looking for evidence of drug dealing.
    It also bugs the shit out of me that there’s a move to decouple the drivers license suspensions for failure to pay tickets for poor people. Middle class people are expected to pay traffic violation or they lose theirs driving privileges. But poor people can drive with impunity ? More resentment which brings trump.

4 things need to happen, poor blacks need to have a huge and fast cultural shift.
    1 Education is the absolute priority like it was for Jews Italian and Irish immigrants. And it is now for Asians.
    2 Single parenthood needs to be shunned.
    3 you are not too good to work for a paycheck. If all you can do is work for McDonald’s then work there and get off the corner
    4 inner city schools need more money for smaller class sizes. Much smaller. Technology is over rated. Just have 1 teacher for 15 kids and all you need is books paper and pencils.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Drug War or War on Drugs in not a one way war. In my 50+ years all I've ever heard is the war on SUPPLIERS. Sorry I'm an economist by how about he war on DEMAND??

Guess who buys the vast majority of the illegal substances in our country? The Blacks?? That 10% of our population does not have the cumulative economic purchasing power to sustain the illegal drug market.

Does anyone ever talk about the buyers? What education has there ever been to decrease or eliminate demand? Wait "Just Say No to Drugs" was all that was needed.

How about some honesty about the drug problem first before we go blaming the "urban blacks" or "inner city blacks" for the problem and pointing the entire might of the federal and state judicial resources at them. I'm not for total free market of all drugs but how about making the buyers pay some of the price?

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is such an interesting, important discussion. I wish I could contribute more to it. But, as Tarheel316 said, the sad but true fact is, I know nothing, really, about either drug wars, or about being black and what inherent problems and issues that may entail, at least not beyond the intellectual level and including just whatever I've read, heard, learned or experienced about, from or with those relatively few African Americans with whom I've come into direct contact on anything close to a regular basis.

I've been thinking, however, about the idea that blacks today are still suffering from the heinous ways they were viewed, used and abused in this country several generations ago -- that they almost can't help but to do so. While I'm not sure that's the case -- I've always been a big advocate of personal responsibility and think most societal problems today have more to do with broken families and decaying standards and expectations -- I do wonder what, if anything, could be done to combat African Americans' history, if it needs to be combatted, and perhaps give blacks a perspective more akin to that of typical immigrants who came with hope, and with the expectation, that things would improve for them if/when they got educated, worked hard and kept striving for better?

There are places in the world (now) where blacks are far worse off. Should they see and experience those people's cultures, poverty and desperate circumstances in order to gain an appreciation for what they have, or could have, here? How to change the mindset to accentuate hope and happiness, and the ability to achieve and/or maintain such things in the interest of a better life?

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted