1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Eh, well of course they will, but it will not be true.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is such BS; there are no facts stated. There are only assumptions and conclusions. With respect to President Obama, he was raised as a biracial kid by a single white mother. IMHO that's worth acknowledging at the very least.

The other thing about affirmative action, the goal of affirmative action is to identify candidates who will not only gain entrance but who will succeed. Clearly rising to the editor o Harvard Law Review shows that he had the talent and did succeed (only 1 of the 400+ students gets that title).

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

And for the umpteenth time, "race" is not a biological concept, it has some use in addressing culture in countries whose economies were founded on centuries of systemic racism, notably USA and to a lesser degree South Africa.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He was President of the law review, not editor . First Black Elected to Head Harvard's Law Review

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Eh, depends on when you catch him (or me). He probably lost 10% off the top, intelligence wise, but he's still a bright kid. He has a lot of classic TBI deficits - anger management issues, impulse control issues, substance abuse issues. On the whole, if you didn't know, you probably wouldn't know. OTOH, that's the insidious side. He looks normal, so if he says or does something that's off kilter, it's unexpected. He still lives with us (at 35). One failed marriage, which was stupid as hell from day one.

I don't know that he'll ever be a fully functional adult, holding down a job long term, married with a family.

Still, he's a good kid with a good heart, and on the whole gets along fairly well. It's a push.

Given that he should have been killed, we're grateful to have him. If there had not been a fire station a quarter mile down the road, he'd be dead. His heart stopped three times before they got him out of the car, but they brought him back.

Slacker likes this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The other thing is, too, Obama did not "have his records sealed," nor did Michelle have hers "sealed" or Malia have hers "sealed." FERPA clearly states that schools cannot make public their students' records without the students' consent.

Just because someone was President, First Lady or First Daughter does not mean they've forfeited their right to the protection the law affords.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

NYC has a public school system that largely serves black and hispanic kids. The large majority of those kids fail the grade 3 through 8 ELA and math tests. For decades, public schools have been worse than useless for those kids, and it is just getting worse. By the time they are in the 8th grade, the majority of those kids don't have the skills to even consider sitting for the Stuyvesant / Bronx Science test, let alone think they could pass it.

Of course it is heartbreaking. They are just kids. They never stood a chance from the time they were born, because their socioeconomic backgrounds and the environments they are growing up in have doomed them. They are essentially written off at birth.

Meanwhile, when Bill de Blasio was campaigning, and then was elected, among his "progressive" bullshit. ... he was going to fix the schools. He knew best, same as always. A giant, $780 million boondoggle later (and the city is in financial straits). ... and with the money all gone 5 years on. ... they recently announced (as quietly as they could) that they are ending the utopia he gave us. More schools failing. Something like 75 percent of black kids failed the state math exams this year.

The heartbreaking part isn't whether admission to Stuyvesant should be merit-based. Like specialized high schools in other places, it is. And like most of those schools, it is largely populated by Asian students who come from environments that put an emphasis on academic achievement as a way to move up the economic ladder. Meanwhile, we have hundreds of thousands of black and hispanic kids who are left behind every year in NYC. It should be shocking, when people see that Stuyvesant, a school that can have life-changing effect for a kid from a poor background, had 895 spots and only 7 black kids were accepted this year. It's a school district that is more than 70 percent black and hispanic. I don't see how anyone doesn't see that story and think there is something VERY wrong. I thought heartbreaking was the perfect word to describe it.

qtlaw likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. That's it exactly. Thanks.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why is it that black families and communities don’t create an environment that puts an emphasis on academic achievement as a way to move up economic ladder? The grandchildren of Ellis Island immigrants 100 years are mostly college graduates, yet most of the grandchildren of those African Americans born after Brown v Board of Ed are not.
    Is it because culturally they don’t believe they can achieve academically and therefore don’t put forth the effort?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate when people speak about the motivations or behaviors of different races and ethnicities in broad generalizations.

But this doesn't seem that complicated to me. I'd guess a big part of it is that if you are part of an immigrant group that came here in large numbers, you came to America because you saw it as a hopeful place that offered opportunities not available where you were leaving. Immigration itself was an act of hope, which I would bet has a huge impact on your attitude.

Contrast that to a racial minority that decade after decade experienced an America that was NOT a hopeful place full of opportunity.

To me, it's not surprising that those contrasting experiences would create very different outcomes over time.

I don't think there is an easy fix to that. A level playing field, where there is truly equality of opportunity, should be the goal, in my opinion. And I think we have gotten that to an amazing degree since the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s. But the ingrained mess the hundreds of years before created, is something that may leave generations behind before (if) that damage can get undone.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is based solely on a conversation with a 50 yr old black guy who does IT for us, we were talking last week and he said “I think I’m only 5 generations from slavery.”

Let that marinate; it’s not like boom the first post-slavery generation starts immediately at the same place as everybody else. Nor even the next few generations. Now add the fact that there’s racial discrimination against you and the killing of your high profile leaders MLK and Malcolm X.

No, I don’t wonder why the black experience doesn’t follow the immigrant path.

Draft saved Draft deleted