1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Among coaches indicted: Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, Georgetown tennis coach Gordon Ernst, several USC coaches, UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo, Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As one who was in sports media for a long way and now with a son who is trying to play college soccer at a decent level, this is a fascinating story to me.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They’ve been doing this at USC for 24 years, according to the transcript. The ADs have to know that students are getting admitted to play a sport where they actually aren’t playing the sport. I wonder if their names even show up on rosters or websites

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Shameless

heyabbott and Azrael like this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I looked up those coaches and Ernst and Meredith left their schools last year, August and November, respectively. Ernst moved to URI, Meredith resigned.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Tempted to email Salcedo and ask what the going rate is for 2021.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Kind of a heartbreaking, angry-making comedy here about the real Affirmative Action.

jfc

lakefront and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was my first thought. Dummies get into good schools all the time because Dad was an alum and writes huge checks. If you can prove that a good kid didn't get into a school because Lori Laughlin's bozo kid got a spot, then you've got something. But schools can cook enrollment numbers however they need.

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lori Laughlin wasn't actually married to John Stamos? What the hell?

Draft saved Draft deleted