1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bribery, greed: All for a little bit of Ivy League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Plenty of rich folks do this with architects.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know, I was just wondering how rich kids' uber-private grade schools wouldn't already have a world-class (whatever that means) college counselor on their payroll. The elite colleges know the elite high schools, so in theory there would already be a connection.

But it's also something hard-wired in a lot of rich people to pay for help for everything. Just writing a check makes them feel like they're getting a leg up.

OscarMadison and exmediahack like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's not that difficult. Choose a couple schools, do your research, apply. A couple safety schools, your target schools, and maybe a reach school. Any 18-year-old who is supposedly smart enough to get into UCLA, USC, Georgetown, etc., should easily be able to figure this out on his/her own.

The only thing we had to do for our child's applications to undergrad and grad school was fill out the FAFSA and transfer some money from his college fund to his checking account to cover the application fees. He did the rest.

Freaking entitled celubtard rich kids who probably never picked up a rake, a lawn mower or a snow shovel in their entire life. Fuck them, and their parents. I hope they enjoy JC/jail.

And yeah, get off my lawn.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    exmediahack likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine being a parent, listening to other parents talking about the schools their kids were hoping to go to, the measures those parents were taking (SAT tutors etc.) makes you wonder if you are doing enough. There is a reason people spend ridiculous amounts of money on things they really don't need nor or worth the money - it's because they can and want to let other people know they can.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I was stressing over my own college applications, my dad said, "Don't worry, there's a college for everyone."

Still not sure how take that.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

CD Boogie and goalmouth like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We thought about that, when learning that other kids and their parents were going up and down the West Coast or in the east looking at colleges. You do wonder if you're doing enough. Luckily Micro Jr. told us to stop worrying about it. For as annoying/insufferable as he was his last two years of high school (and he totally was), he had his shit together about that aspect of his life.

OscarMadison and exmediahack like this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In 2019, I don’t even think it matters as much anymore where your degree comes from. Perhaps, 30 years ago, it mattered because of contacts and a shared alma mater with business leaders.

Now it’s only perceived prestige. Aunt Becky wants her kid to go USC because she’s not going to tell her friends, “she’s at Fullerton” even though that’s probably where her academic profile merits.

It’s not a hard process. Get your grades/scores, see where you’re profile fits the median, apply to 10 or so. Do the financials. Decide. Make a deposit.

Do people even care abou schools anymore? In TV news, we assume that someone from Mizzou, Northwestern or Syracuse is more of a finished product than others BUT I learn more with a person’s web page/reel and resume. I see more of a person’s level of initiative there.

I’ll be curious to see what my son does for 15 months from now. If he plays soccer, that’ll cost us some tuition money but I hope not too much. If he doesn’t play soccer (and plays for a club team), he has a few of free tuition options (mostly SEC, Big 12 and some D1 mid majors)

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Both my children did not get into their first choice. Both went to the same school, which was about their second/third choice. Both thrived there in very different ways, for which I'm profoundly grateful. BUT, our town is totally built around its outstanding and expensive for taxpayers public school system, and college admissions is the apex of the whole shebang. It wasn't just parents who felt that way, many kids did too. Super competitive atmosphere with unhealthy aspects. My son's "rebel" friend didn't apply to college. He enlisted in the Marines because he wanted to fly helicopters, which he eventually did. Guy's now a software engineer making the big bucks, but at the time, many parents in our peer group were scandalized. Imagine Marine helicopter pilot being seen as underachieving. Very weird.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I hope three-bags is well, wherever he is.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

TIMES ELEVENTY!

Now back on point: Is this not an academic version of what those who have been in the business have seen for years? Little Johnny Sidewinder is gonna get that scholarship, dammit, so we're gonna have him play travel ball in the summer, then fall ball, then private coaches for winter workouts, and finally, the high school season. And Podunk State may not be good enough ... it has to be the SEC or Pac-12 (maybe the only sport they're good at?).

Draft saved Draft deleted