1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brianna Scurry isn't sending Xmas card to Hope Solo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Bruce said that he still regrets not bringing in Kasey for the Germany match in 2002. But in that case, Keller was injured at the start of the tourney.

Here, despite the one gaffe in the first match, Solo had a decent tourney -- there wasn't that much for her to do in most of the games. (it's not like she was playing like Cech against Ghana or anything). But she did nothing would have led you to take her out.

A Bobby Valentine move.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'd liken it to a manager going into a Game 7 and picking a starter who hasn't pitched in weeks because the guy has an excellent record against the opponent, rather than going with his usual ace on normal rest. Yeah, maybe he's playing the percentages, but he's also putting a rusty arm on the mound.

Meanwhile, the notion of using certain goalkeepers for certain opponents is practically unheard of in soccer. Maybe Ryan's at the forefront of some underground, Bill James-like movement (soccermetrics?) that thinks this way, but he's on an island. And the results speak for themselves.

Solo, however, needed to be a little more tactful regarding Scurry. Rip the coach if you want, but don't talk about how you'd have made the saves. Scurry's won a hell of a lot more than you have, and none of the goals she allowed today were nearly as bad as the howler that slipped through your hands vs. North Koreans.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

If I were her, I wouldd't want to be in the locker room alone with Scurry right now. Scurry has that p.o'ed stare down.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dusty Baker, 2002 World Series

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where's Anson Dorrance when you need him?

6. Women's soccer has truly arrived.
    A legitimate draw-and-quarter-the-idiot-coach argument!
    Hope's u.n.c.l.e. is not happy, either.

[​IMG]

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

When they announced the move yesterday, I was like "What the fuck?"

And I'm sure the team felt the same way. You also have to wonder if Scurry lobbied for the start.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Too busy trying to figure out why he's not winning the Women's College Cup every year anymore.

(Psst ... parity tends to happen when not ALL the top talent is pipelined to Chapel Hill ... )

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No complaints on this end </angels fan>

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought he was her grandfather.

And how many young 'uns aren't getting our old-folks reference?

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Exceedingly well played, sir.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No way Scurry lobbied. Ryan can't allow lobbying to influence his decisions, no matter how bad we may think they are. And if the players found out, the divide could be irreversible.

If your theory does check out, though, Ryan should be through. Can't allow the inmates to run the asylum.

Draft saved Draft deleted