1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brianna Scurry isn't sending Xmas card to Hope Solo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Sep 27, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just heard this on ESPN Radio, haven't actually seen a link yet.

Anyway, the U.S. women's soccer team loses 4-0 to Brazil in the FIFA semifinals today. Instead of playing regular starter Hope Solo in goal, the coaches go with 2004/Olympics hero Brianna Scurry.

Solo goes off after the game. I'm sure these quotes aren't perfect, but to paraphrase:

"In my mind, the coaches made a serious mistake."

"There's no doubt that I would have made the saves on some of those goals."

"The simple fact is that this isn't 2004 anymore."

Hmmmmm.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hard to argue those points when Solo hadn't given up a goal since the opening game.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This is all being dealt with on the running soccer thread.

Nice quotes though.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

'Twas a bizarre decision, and I'm not really surprised to see that reaction from Solo.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Video of the blast:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3039111&categoryId=2378529&n8pe6c=2

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not a soccer guy so I'm hoping someone who is can explain what the fuck the idiot national team coach was thinking with this move.

That's like benching your starting QB for the Super Bowl and going with his back-up.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Whoa....she did everything except call her the B-word.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The two rules of goaltender management: In a tournament, you go with the hot hand, and when in doubt, you dance with the one what brung you.

U.S. coach violated both.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ryan was being to clever for his own good, and it rightfully came back to bite him. You can make tactical switches anywhere else on the field, but you don't change goalkeepers mid-tournament unless your starter is hurt.

The rust on Scurry was evident on the second goal (the one in the clip), and that, combined with the ejection, killed the U.S.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You have to wonder if the goalie switch didn't impact the performance of the rest of the team too. I didn't see the game but it wouldn't surprise me if they had played tight and tried to do too much figuring they had to cover for a goalie who hadn't played in awhile.

I know Scurry is a WC vet and all that but there has to be a ripple effect on the team when you yank a goalie who hasn't been scored on in favor of one that hadn't played a NT game since June.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I hereby close the voting for the SportsJournalists.com Award in the category of Year's Most Honest Answer by an Athlete. Hope Solo in a blowout.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I can see that side of it. I'm a little surprised nobody has offered her up, also, for Best Example of Throwing a Teammate Under the Bus.

Draft saved Draft deleted