1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brian Urlacher, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 21, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's funny how the guy playing outside Urlacher always becomes overrated. How are they ever going to replace Roosevelt Colvin?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, he's not better than Singletary. I can't imagine ever being convinced of that one...

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Singletary couldn't cover. Ditka has said it repeatedly. His responsibilities were to stop the run inside, basically, and that's about it.

He would be an average, at best, middle linebacker in today's schemes.

4. Mizzougrad96

I knew there was an argument to be found on this thread... :D

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't know how you can compare the two. They may play the same position, but they have entirely different roles.

Singletary played ILB like a DT. Urlacher plays it like a safety. They both fit their eras very well.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Urlacher has to be in, I'm surprised someone would say no. First ballot I don't know about, though. And a no on Briggs for me too.

7. Mizzougrad96

Both tremendous players...

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

this.

i'm more old-school. like ,y ,iddle lb's to be ferocious run-stuffers, first and foremost. urlacher, i guess, has always seemed like a 'roided up safety to me. one is a dominant force who imposes his will on EVERYONE on the field. the other is a good player but not one i'd call 'dominating' or feared by opponents.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick, are you serious, or are you trying to poke fun at MankyJimy's contention that Ted Williams would be like Nick Johnson today?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Urlacher goes sideline to sideline incredibly well ... I think he'll make it in.

11. Dick Whitman

Brian Urlacher is more feared by opposing offenses than Mike Singletary was.

12. Dick Whitman

I don't think he could do the things necessary to slow down today's offenses.

Draft saved Draft deleted