1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brian Roberts comes "clean"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 18, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Brian Roberts admits using steroids

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-te.sp.roberts18dec18,0,163568.story

Not sure if I believe Roberts' claim that he only injected steroids once any more than I believe Pettitte, but that is what he is saying. He admitted using once in 2003.

I posted this mostly because I thought the Mitchell Report's evidence against Roberts was extremely weak and wrote exactly that last week. Obviously they had it right on this one.

I still think the standard of proof for listing those names was not enough, but that report is looking more and more appropriate as more of these guys come out with admissions of guilt.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Brian Roberts admits using steroids

D_B, but barely.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/50723/

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and Michael Vick is sorry, Pettite only did it twice and Clinton did not have sexual relations with that women.
    How many times do people have to be snowed by theses athletes before they stop falling for their apologetic bullshit.

4. What reason would he have to make it up? No one saw him do it. It was the most circumstantial evidence in the whole report. He could have easily said that he was just saying it to sound cool and been fine. He didn't have to admit it, and he did.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

At some point, do some of these admissions sound a bit like those perverts who showed up in the Dateline NBC To Catch a Predator sting operations who said that this was the only time they had done it. ... Mr. Roberts, you're free to go.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i, for one, don't "fall" for the bullshit. but i do appreciate the staged apologies more than the denials expressing outrage.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess you also believe all the denials of the last 15 years as well

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't understand the apologies.

I really don't.

Come clean, say why you did it -- in particular, say you did it because you were worried about falling behind other players who were doing it -- and move on.

9. No, I'm as cynical as they come. I'm just saying - why would Roberts even say ANYTHING? Why not deny, deny, deny. They barely had anything on him.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess he felt they did have somthing on him.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Exactly, just come out and say I was scared that I would fall behind if I didn't. I think people would understand that a hell of a lot more than these bullshit apologies

Draft saved Draft deleted