1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brian Dawkins - HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Some day, that light bulb is going to remain on for you. Until then....

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Polamalu being the most important defensive player on the field for Pittsburgh isn't an argument for putting him in the Hall of Fame.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That might make more sense if this defense had not helped win two Super Bowls and play in a third. He is also the best player on this defense. You could argue for Harrison, but I would take Polamalu over Harrison in a heartbeat.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then let me rephrase:

By itself, Polamalu being the most important defensive player on the field for Pittsburgh isn't an argument for putting him in the Hall of Fame.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Defensive players have two areas where they can excel as individuals, hitting people and hurting them (why else hit them?) and big plays. Dawkins excelled at the former, Polamalu excels at the latter (no slouch at the former). I'd be very comfortable with either man's election to the Hall, and I wager 90+ percent of football fans agree with me.

6. If Polamalu was healthy this would not even be a debate.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Being healthy is part of the game otherwise Terrell Davis and Tony Boselli both make it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Polamalu is a five-time All-Pro. He's been to three Super Bowls. His team has won twice. He's been a defensive player of the year.

HOF Lock.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In the last couple years, I have heard Darren Sharper referred to as a HOF-lock by several people who should know better...

He has the stats. But he will never make Canton. He's not even in the same class as Dawkins, Polamalu, Lynch, Reed and the other great safeties of the last decade plus.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who refers to ANY safety as a Hall of Fame lock is insane. Who called him a lock?

What Sharper has is interceptions. And interceptions run back for TDs. A lot of them. And a long career in which he played at a high level from start to finish.

A lock? Hell no. No safety is. As I said earlier, there are some great safeties not in.

And even the ones in. ... Paul Krause had more career interceptions than anyone in history. Using your Polamalu is a "lock" accomplishments from earlier? Well Krause was All-Pro eight times. He had 81 inerceptions in an era when teams didn't throw as much as they do now. It's a record.

Krause went to eight Pro Bowls, was All-Pro eight times, and put up his numbers in an era when teams didn't throw nearly as often as they do now.

It took Krause 14 tries to get in.

Krause had much more longevity, bigger numbers. Darren Sharper has much more longevity, some record INT numbers and he did it at a high level that Polamalu has a long ways to go to reach.

Krause wasn't a lock. He struggled to get through the doors. Sharper isn't a lock (and I'd love to know who has said he is). And Polamalu CERTAINLY isn't a lock. Not if his career ends today.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, you could be right, but it should be noted the voters who kept Krause out are mostly no longer with us. The committee changes, and recognition of big-play ability is one of the ways it has changed. Hell, Deion Sanders, who could not or would not tackle, the most fundamental defensive skill of all, waltzed right in on the first ballot.

Draft saved Draft deleted