1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whether by accident or design - the disunity among the G7 nations really is a boon for Russia. (cough, cough - probably not an accident).

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The only way there would be an independent NI is if London footed the bill. Well, it does already. Last I saw the block grant was £10 billion or so. One thing all the parties there have in common, they’ll cash British checks (even Sinn Fein).

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In order they're:

1) Dismantling the EU;
    2) Dismantling the U.K.;
    3) Dismantling NATO;
    4) Dismantling the U.S.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Britain officially leaves the EU tomorrow. In one of those quirky gestures that wind up in history books, lawmakers in Brussels sing Auld Lang Syne in farewell.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Fuck them and their misconceived whatever bullshit. The fixed idea of a nation based on identity is stupid and it is better to be open economically, but the EU is awful.

6. britwrit

And this is exactly why the Remain side lost. I don't think the EU is awful but everyone who was against leaving was aware of its many warts. The top-down heavy superstructure. The subsidy wars. The drift towards one big European super-state (not that I really cared, being American, but still.) It was tough to enthusiastically argue for it in its current state.

Against this, you had promises of a whole series of fantasy futures. Whatever you wanted, it's going to happen! With tons of more money and a whole lot less foreigners!

I'd vote for Rejoin tomorrow. Give me free trade and a Europe working together peacefully, warts and all.

qtlaw and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pain in the ass how?

The thing about the deal. ... They ended up with some semblance of free trade. ... no tariffs, no quotas, just demand determining what goods are available throughout Europe. Relatively unfettered.

They could have done that easily a few years ago when the UK said it wanted out, but everyone was butt hurt and intent on throwing road blocks in each others' way. This doesn't seem like a pain in the ass, though, for the average person. They no longer have to cede sovereignty with regard to immigration, work rules, etc. to a bunch of other countries that culturally are different. And the stuff available to the typical consumer shouldn't really differ from what is available now and the prices will remain competitive.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Did you read the article?

10. The Big Ragu

That article wasn't about what "a pain in the ass this will be for 95 percent of them."

It was about some logistical changes. ... and the only substantive things on that list related to taking a vacation on the continent. It's not any different than what you or I would have to do -- have a valid passport, for example -- to go on vacation in Europe.

11. britwrit

It's going to be a pain in the ass for British businesses, though. The talent pool they can easily draw on now is greatly diminished (as well the cheap-ish labor from Eastern Europe.) The non-tariff barriers for importing and exporting - the red tape - have also now gone up.

In turn, they're still going to have to abide by the same basic standards as the EU, with no say now in determining them.

The folks who run British industry aren't a bunch of starry-eyed Europhiles. They knew that this was how it was going to play out, getting nothing in return for something.

12. The Big Ragu

Pain in the ass compared to what, though? Yes, if things had stayed the way they were, with a customs union, there wouldn't be thepaperwork and customs requirements that will now be in place. But the flip side is that they are no longer subject to the gazillion arbitrary regulations coming out of Brussels that handcuffed businesses and seemed to only serve officious Euro bureaucrats who are invested in micromanaging every aspect of their citizens lives. So no, I don't see how you can call it nothing in return for something. They lose the regulations that they hated.

There won't be a customs union, but the thing about free trade is that it works when it is mutually beneficial. There will be non-tariff barriers -- already are -- because politicians trying to buy domestic support from various industries won't be able to help themselves. But that is a two-way street, not one-way. The UK is a huge export market for Europe. And the incentive is to not to take that too far, because they will be dependent on each other. In practicality, things will NOT change that much for British exporters. They will have to file customs declarations that they didn't have to, but that is not that difficult, and they will have their government permits showing that they have the right paperwork and the French will wave them on through at Calais.

Draft saved Draft deleted