1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For someone in Britain? What it means practically really, is that your purchasing power suffers. Their savings are effectively worth less than they were as their currency devalues -- it costs more to buy anything. Their real wages are worth less. And most importantly maybe, to the central bank, the interest and principal on debt (because the low interest rates that permate the world spawn more and more debt and it is out of control worldwide, Britain included) is worth less. For you? Probably not much effect, other from the macro instability that currency moves create. Or unless you trade with Great Britain. Or if you want to travel to Great Britain. You can get more out of a vacation there for your dollars than you could a year ago.

The real story is that in a backward way, the British voters accomplished what Mark Carney and the BOE desperately want. We are in the midst of a global currency war -- every central bank in the world has been frantically trying to devalue their currencies. For the most part they have been taking turns, but when one is successful it comes at the expense of others. They are doing it by whatever means necessary -- and have gotten bold and radical in how they have intervened in markets. Suppressing interest rates (the old school way), but because the debt levels have gotten so high and taking interest rates too far negative is difficult, they have essentially destroyed various markets by essentially creating money or credit out of thin air and using it to purchases assets. Primarily in the debt markets (but some central banks are outright buying equities to create an illusion of a strong economy) -- to drive prices up and yields down. They are trying to steal growth that doesn't exist, by beggaring their neighbors. But in effect, since everyone is playing the same game, they have created a lot of public and private debt and robbed growth from their own futures.

It's short-sighted and reckless, politically-inspired "policy." And it will end disastrously. But in the short-term, what it means is that they can blow a few bubbles a little bigger, for a little longer, even as the global economy stagnates and there is unrest all around. The FTSE (British stocks) is at all-time highs, for example, on the back of the weak pound you asked about. So if you can afford to speculate on British stocks, you have made money on paper. If you are average Joe worker? Your paycheck is worth less. The central bank would consider the asset bubbles they have created a benefit, but it's phoniness -- there is nothing fundamental about it, and it will ultimately be unsustainable.

I've posted about the slow-moving train wreck the various central banks have created a lot on here -- this has been ratcheting up for a long time and is reaching a critical mass. As they lose control of the monster they created, and it has become more and more apparent to people that they don't have a clue (and are backed against a wall now) and have created terrible misallocations of capital (because what artificial interest rates do is encourage reckless behavior and crazy debt), more and more voices have been weighing in -- essentially to say that it won't end well. Here was Bill Gross' (a well-known bond fund manager) letter to investors yesterday, if you are interested. It's worth the read:

https://www.janus.com/insights/bill-gross-investment-outlook

In terms of the pound, Brexit accomplishing what Mark Carney wanted anyhow is significant for them. Despite what politicians have tried to convince people of, a weak currency isn't a good thing. It will rob people of their savings and making their wages worth less (via inflation), and maybe allow politicians to avoid making hard choices a little longer. But the pound isn't any different than the dollar or the yuan or the japanese yen right now, in that all of them have been destroying their currencies -- pretty much with sledge hammers. One might trade a little better at a point in time, relative to another. But in real terms, the purchasing power in all of those currencies has just degraded away and debt levels have gotten very extreme. It will go on until the next credit / financial crisis, and they have no more control. This time, though, debt levels are much greater than they were in the past, and the ability of the central planning banks to intervene has taken a major hit. So there will finally be a massive deleveraging (like the one that should have happened in 2008). That will mean a lot of suffering, but in the long-term it is the only thing that can allow all of the toxicity they created with reckless manipulation to flush out and for us to get back to a healthy market-driven economy.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just had to ask, didn't you? :D

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ragu, over a 10-year period, do you see Brexit as being a positive for the U.K.? I think we all can agree on it being a short-term drag.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

For us here in Britain?

In the short term, it means that exports are soaring and tourists are flocking in.

In the longer term, it means the rest of Europe isn't going to look too favorably on us remaining in the common market and will decide, well, Brexit really does mean Brexit. It also means goodbye to a large portion of our financial sector - with the end of EU passporting rights - and any illusion that Johnny Foreigner needs us more than we need him.

On a more positive note, it also opens up the way for a thousand smutty jokes about a "hard Brexit." So, good times.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the Troubles to resume in Northern Ireland with the reintroduction of border controls. That'll be awesome.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how I see it. I think it can be a big positive IF the U.K. does the right things now. But I don't know that they will. If they don't, people will blame the wrong thing for their problems. The EU is a regulatory mess that has helped put a giant anchor on the Eurozone economies. It's not entirely responsible, but it is a major drag. There are going to be other countries leaving, probably, as nationalist sentiment keeps ratcheting up, as it has been. Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy. ... they all have major political movements focused in part on getting them out. So the chances that the EU survives too many years into the future probably aren't that great. I suspect all that the U.K. did was be the first to abandon a sinking ship. Which could be great for them in the long run. Now the question is whether they want to free up their economy from overregulation and allow markets to work. If they succumb to populist nonsense and do stupid things, it won't be a positive. They'll just replace one anchor on their economy with other anchors.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

9. Theresa May humiliated as High Court rules MPs MUST vote on Brexit before Article 50 is triggered | Daily Mail Online

Judges rules MPs must be given the right to vote on Brexit. Says May does not have the power to withdraw rights from the public by executive decision - something the High Court said would happen by invoking Article 50 and starting the 'irreversible' process of Brexit.

I'm guessing the MP vote will kill Brexit. I suspect a lot of folks - a majority - would like a do-over on this.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Eh, politicians there are like politicians here. They want to protect their sinecure above all else.

I do think I've found the country for YF if he wants punchier headlines though.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. Way to subvert the will of the electorate.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You don't understand British law if you believe the referendum was binding as ballot measures are in the U.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted