1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I blame ESPN

2. Overseas markets are reacting to the vote.

As noted before, I can totally see this as the beginning of the end of the UK. Scotland, which just narrowly voted to remain part of the UK a few months ago was solidly in favor of staying the EU. Officials there are now vowing a second Independence vote.

John Oliver had a great bit on Brexit.

Sky, which usually airs his show on Sunday night, opted - in the name of neutrality - to delay this week's show until after polls closed so as to not influence the vote.

I read one piece this week that argued Brexit was something we - 'Merica! - should support as it will weaken the UK and the EU, which it's argued is good for us and our economy.
    Everything else I read warned this was a bad idea.

jpetrie18 likes this.
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One of the top conservative politicians last night was bragging about how people from "government estates" (what we'd call housing projects) were voting overwhelmingly to leave. And as others have pointed out, these are the folk that get the most from Brussels.

If Scotland leaves the UK, that puts NIreland in play. The argument by many of the unionists to remain in the UK is "hey, we have lots of ties with the Scottish prods!" I'd say right now that a referendum in NI to stay in the UK would probably be 60-40 in favor of stay. Scotland goes, and that could totally change the dynamic. This is a massive wet dream for the SNP in Scotland and Sinn Fein in NI.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Sir Topham Hat for Prime Minister

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mike Kzyzewski bemoans the passing the of the League of Nations as Duke aligns with Germany, Italy, Nike and Japan

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, my first blush take on the bolded part is that it's silly. Because:
    1. A weak Pound/Euro makes European exports more competitive on the world stage, and makes American imports less appealing in Europe. It seems very likely this will increase America's trade deficit.
    2. A richer world in general is good because there's more people to with money to spend on American goods.
    3. Geopolitically a unified Europe is a really good thing. It's generally a strong US partner and a good check against other powers, especially Russia. It seems like a fractured Europe increases the likelihood that Russia could exert more influence in the eastern part of the continent. Basically the current world order is pretty damn good for America and major disruptions to it, as a result, are more likely to be sub-optimal than to be an improvement.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

England, you have caused confusion and delay.

HanSenSE, Big Circus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We have a winner!

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, just because:

apeman33 and BDC99 like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know Donald Trump is watching this mess while chortling and rubbing his tiny hands together. #Trumpexit

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the live footage of panicked British tourists being plucked from French beaches by plucky British fishermen, a la Dunkirk.

Draft saved Draft deleted