1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brewers offer "Timeless Ticket"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jan 15, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Brewers now selling a $1,000 ticket with a fascinating twist | Big League Stew - Yahoo Sports

So the Brewers are offering 1,000 fans the chance to purchase a $1,000 Timeless Ticket, good for admission to ANY one game anytime in the future, whether next year or in 2050. Postseason games are included. In addition, the fans get tickets to nine other Brewers games.

The ticket is made of personalized brass and the fan gets to keep the ticket for display even after redemption.

I think this is pretty cool. If you have the money, it's kind of a no-brainer. You're getting 10 games for $1,000, so right there, it's not an obscene cost. And the chance to redeem it at a potentially historic game (Game 7 of a World Series, a possible milestone game for a great hitter) where tickets on the secondary market may be selling for several thousand dollars, makes even more valuable.

I would totally do this if I were a Brewers fan.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

One year ago, I would have said, "what idiot would pay the Milwaukee Brewers $1,000 for anything?"

Then the Kansas City Royals 2014 season happened.

Although, I will say that we got into Game 6 of the WS for $425 a piece. Game 2 was much more expensive (about $1200) but we had fantastic seats behind the Royals dugout.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There aren't many games that reach the $1,000 mark unless you have great seats (and I have no idea where the seats would be located if one used the timeless ticket), but prices are only going to go up. Fifteen or 20 years from now, it will be much easier to get that $1,000+ value out of the ticket, and that's not even taking into account the nine games you get to attend this season (assuming you actually want to see nine Brewers games).

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Do you have any choice of the other nine games?

It's intriguing. But when the team hasn't been to the WS since 1982. I can also imagine holding out until they make the series and then it only goes 4-5 games.

Someone once told me that the most expensive baseball ticket of all-time was Game 4 of the 2004 series. I have relatives in Boston who flew to St. Louis to go to Games 3 and 4. They paid $1,000 for two tickets to Game 3, but paid $1200 apiece for Game 4. They told me they knew of people who paid $2500 per ticket.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Where are the seats for the nine other games?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unavailable for comment.

[​IMG]

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So, this thing can only be used once? Am I reading that right?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Interesting concept, good fundraiser, but I would love to see this turn into a PR nightmare.

Let's say the other 9 tickets are for $25 seats--they're making $775 on the 'golden ticket'.

Now, let's say this thing takes off and 40,000 people buy in. That's a nice $30 mil in the Brewers coffers.

And then let's say they make the series some year. So what happens if everyone jumps on the first home game--you tell the season ticket holders, or at least some of them, "uh, sorry folks, parks closed."

Understand all that's highly unlikely to occur.

But, what a beaut that would be if it did.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

That's why the team is "offering 1,000 fans the chance to purchase a $1,000 Timeless Ticket". Not 40.000 fans.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

got it--looks like I missed that key detail.

11. exmediahack

If it was 40,000 "Timeless Tickets" available, I would expect the Brewers to put those fans out on temporary bleachers in the parking lot where County Stadium USED to be, watching the game on a big screen.

12. exmediahack

I would push back that Games 6 and 7 for the World Series this year in Kansas City would have topped Game 4 of 2004. I was fairly "active" in the secondary market -- on an hour-by-hour basis. Couldn't get anything in the lower deck for less than $1,200 apiece -- try between $2000 and $4000 for any lower seats between first and third base. Upper deck was between $600 and $1200. We were SRO for $425 but found room at the end of the lower deck for Game 6. Considering most of the crowd was standing all of Game 6 anyway, it wasn't a bad deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted