1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brewers hire Macha

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Did someone tell Macha that Sabathia and Sheets won't be there next year?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I always thought Beane got the players to throw Macha under the bus in order to justify his decision to fire a guy who was fresh off a playoff berth and whose worst team in four years won 88 games.

Nothing to back that up, just a hunch b/c Beane strikes me as that kind of guy.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, that's actually somewhat the word that's been going around.

As for Kendall, the guy hit .250, but he was tremendous defensively and managed the staff well. Of course, I could have managed a staff that was throwing CC, Sheets and Gallardo at the end of the year.

4. jsanmateo

jsanmateo New Member

Heh, the NL Central seems to like West Coast managers. Dusty with SF, Pinella with Seattle and La Russa with the A's. Macha doesn't have the pedigree of any of them though.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Beane doesn't need help to trash a manager. He humiliated Art Howe. Then he let Macha quit and go interview in Pittsburgh, only to return with his hat in his hand after he didn't get that job.

I think the problems Macha had in Oakland are legitimate. People whose opinions I respect said the players couldn't stand Macha.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And don't forget that the Brewers also interviewed Bob "Worst manager to win a World Series" Brenly ...

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Don't forget Cecil Cooper

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Billy Beane, the guy who gave up before the ASB with his team in reasonable contention . . . his ideas work.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

From reading a little more into the situation, I'm OK with the Macha hire ... sounds like Beane was turning the players against Macha.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm OK with Macha and I'm OK with any manager over Billy Beane, who treats his like fry cooks. It is too bad Cecil Cooper wasn't available here, though.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Agree with you on Cooper.

Regarding Macha's two-year contract: Melvin's new contract is for three years ... I'm assuming that if Macha doesn't work out, Melvin can dump him after two years and still have a year left to get things turned around.

And I think that's why he wants to keep Sveum on staff ... I get the impression that Melvin wants to groom Sveum even more before he hands the team over to him (insert 3rd base coach jokes here).

Still odd that Macha only got two years, which you rarely see for a new hire.

12. Human Ambien.
    The press conferences in Milwaukee just flatlined.

Draft saved Draft deleted