1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brewers fire Ned Yost, make Dale Sveum interim manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Sep 15, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Save for winning a championship.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's brilliant let's turn the franchise over to a Pirates reject to show them the way to learning how to win the Wild card......

What's wrong -- was Gary Varsho not available?

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The Brewers were up 5 1/2 games in the wildcard just a couple of weeks ago. And they collapsed in September last year. Plus they gave up a lot for a half-season rental of Sabathia so they wouldn't repeat last year's collapse, yet they appear to be having it happen again anyway.

The timing is very unusual for baseball. But I can't blame them for doing it.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't get. I've read several times that Simmons was next in line if and when Ned got the gate. Why was he reassigned?

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

More details from Melvin and an semi-explanation of Simmons reassignment.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/502374.aspx

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I guess people (including myself) just assumed he was next in line, since he was brought in to serve as bench coach. According to what Haudricourt thought throughout the year, if Ned were to get fired in the middle of the season, Sveum would take over managerial role.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's going so bad for the Brewers that when Ben Sheets called home to talk to his wife last night Carlos Zambrano answered the phone.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

And everybody in the office is looking at me for laughing so hard at this. Thanks Armchair.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, this is different.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And now broadcasters can re-acquaint them with how to pronounce Sveum.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think that's right, Buck. I'm pretty sure it starts with a "es" sound.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

In related news, the Brewers will not hire a replacement third base coach, since all Sveum does is send the guys anyway.

I'm with Mizzou on this. If I were a betting man and had any money left over after the collapse of America's banks [/cross-threading], I'd slide a few gs on the Brewers winning it all, just b/c they sure as fuck have a better chance right now than they did yesterday. Because Ned Yost makes Art Howe look like Casey Stengel.

Draft saved Draft deleted