1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brett Myers -- Now I feel sick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Oct 5, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Wife doesn't want to press charges.
    I understand that ... from the standpoint of, in my limited knowledge of such affairs, that it is not uncommon for the abused spouse to want to turn the abuser in.
    Fine. I get that.

However, this 6-foot-4, 240-pound guy punches a significantly smaller woman in the face because they were "having an argument" and we get this nugget at the end of the AP story.

He was treated as a celebrity Thursday by court officers, who shook his hand. One told him, "Good luck, it will be all right" while another said, "Nice seeing you again."
    And this is a BOSTON courtroom.
    Not to excuse this behavior in a Philadelphia courtroom, but at least you could kinda see this happening with some lunatic Phils' fan/court officer.
    But anyway you cut it, that's BS.
    No wonder this shyte is so hard to prosecute. Women's advocacy groups should go ape-shyte over this and rightfully so. There is no room in the American court system for this crap.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I seem to remember SI absolutely blasting an Atlanta judge for sucking off Andruw Jones during a paternity suit. And who can forget the Congressmen all waxing embarrassingly poetic during the steroids hearings.

The celebrity worship in this country by normally dignified people is sickening.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

After that treatment, what could LeBatard possibly write?

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

She's not just a former groupie (not that all wives are, or that anyone ever deserves to get hit) either, his wife is a former college field hockey player. She might be able to take him, if he wasn't a pro athlete. Her comments were painful, "We're not a violent family, we both had too much to drink."

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Brett Myers is worth selling your soul for? He's repulsive, and she's weak.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She's weak? That's among the more ignorant statements I've had the pleasure of reading on here lately.

It's obvious that you know nothing about battered women.

There're a ton of reasons women are don't leave men who beat them, starting with the fact that the women are much more likely to be killed after they leave than if they stay.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i've spent some time interning at criminal court in miami and if the "court officers" in boston are anything like the uniformed officers in miami, they are about a half-step in competence and intelligence above mall security guards. so a couple of meatheads being excited about shaking a professional baseball player's hand isn't something to get upset about.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

sportschick is correct. It makes you think and ponder "why doesn't she get the hell away from him," but in her POV, if she was to leave or file for divorce, no restraining order is going to protect her, or even save her life. There are not many women who has been in abusive relationships go through it and live to tell about it. She isn't weak, she's scared for her life, no telling on what he'll do to her if she takes action.

Is she weak? I highly doubt it. Is she scared of what could happen if she did anything afterwards? Hell yes. This is the shit that pisses me off and really rubs me the wrong way. I have no respect for domestic abusers, men or women, who do this.

Draft saved Draft deleted