1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brett Favre: Free Agent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I meant to throw at least a little bit about Orlovsky in there, but that post had already mushroomed to about 8 times the length it should have been.

He was yet another victim of Millen/Martz/Marinelli's idiotic insisitence on playing the "savvy seasoned fiery veteran leader," Kitna, every single snap of every single game, and then after Kitna's jettisoning became necessary, their sudden infatuation with the new "savvy veteran leader," Culpepper.

Once the team fell to about 0-3, effectively ending any chance at playoff contention, Kitna should have been sent out the door. Anybody proposing the signing of another "seasoned veteran leader" should have been instantly terminated ('from employment,' although 'from existence' wouldn't be a bad idea either).

From that moment on, Orlovsky, Stanton and Henson should have taken the snaps. What the hell? One of them might have turned out to be a basically competent quarterback (much more than could be said of the stiffs Kitna or Culpepper). Orlovsky was much less damaging than either of the "seasoned savvy" turnover machines.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No love for me?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm not sure how many quarterback situations Favre would improve. I know off the top of my head he is better than Minnesota's guy, Washington's guy, the Jets guy obviously, the Bronco's guy and the Detroit guy but the Raiders -- for what they want to do (i.e throw deep and he proved last year his arm strength is diminished) he isn't really an upgrade.

I guess he'd help Cleveland and San Francisco as well but in terms of the actual number of teams he would improve at this point, I'm not sure it is that great.

Oh wait, he'd be a major upgrade in Philadelphia where that choking dog who has never won a thing and loses big games and throws up because he can't handle nerves is ruining a great franchise........[\clueless idiots from a different thread] (sorry, had to ;D )

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I wouldn't call the Eagles a great franchise.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Uh...........hmmmmmmmmmmmm............uh.............

No.

6. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

For the Vikings this comes down to a business decision. Hello, sports in 2009. The lease at the Dome is going to be up soon. They want a new stadium, but the state is running a huge deficit and there is no public support for a new stadium. Can they move? If so, where?

How do they gain public support? They have to win, and win big. By signing BF they have a better shot at winning, IF his arm is in working order. The QBs they currently have on roster won't cut it.

OK, so the team has a successful season, ownership gains some support from the fan base, and make no mistake, the Vikings are very popular, then they make another run at a stadium. For the investment of what, a few million? Look at the potential return from ownership's viewpoint.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's what the Jets thought (except replace "trying to drum up support for new stadium" with "trying to drum up support for PSLs for new stadium"). It worked so well they're now on another QB.

Doesn't mean the Vikings won't try it, but it won't work.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Not saying it will work. Just what Zygi could very well do.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pioneer Press says Favre may have hired a personal trainer, per the SI Morning Buzz column.

Why would he need a personal trainer if he's planning on cutting crass all summer? His yard ain't that damn big.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Dome lease it up in 2011.

No one, at least no one who answers to constituents, is backing a new Vikings stadium -- not after shelling out for the Twins and Gophers.

Vikings have to do something for buzz.

If not... they'll move to LA and give that city a second franchise with Minnesota heritage.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You haven't seen his estate. It IS that damn big, but I'll ga-ron-tee he's not the one who cuts the grass out there. He's got a whole crew of landscapers/flunkies who do it for him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ridiculous -- with the Twins and Gophers gone, the Vikings now have the Dome all to themselves and can reconfigure it any way they like (additional luxury boxes -- as many as they want).

Unless there is an astonishing upturn in the economy real soon, ain't no new stadiums getting built for anybody anywhere with tax money anytime in the even remotely foreseeable future.

Draft saved Draft deleted