1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bret Bielema takes on Fat Chuck and the Irish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I heart Bielema.

His comments please me on so many levels.

And he's right. Since 1993, Wisconsin has been a better program than the Irish. I'm tired of people sucking the dick of tradition with those phony, entitled assholes.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The sooner Bielema -- and all the rest of these coaches who bitch about Notre Dame's special treatment -- understands and accepts this concept, the sooner he will become happier person....

It is all about money, it is about supply and demand -- people want to see Notre Dame, bowl games want Notre Dame, TV networks want to show Notre Dame -- they create ratings, they create attendance, they make money. Period.

As good as Wisconsin has been a 10-2 or even 9-3 Notre Dame team will always be more attractice to a bowl game than an 11-1 Wisconsin team, particularly one who played nobody. That's just reality.

Bowls exist to make money and Notre Dame ensures the bowl will make money. That's just life.

And this is coming from someone who detests Notre Dame and hates the special treatment they get but understands why the get it -- so spare me the anti-Irish rants.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Thanks for the lesson, Zag. The thought that money played into this had never occurred to me. ::)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You read, you learn....

Of course as Starman said, soon as the BADgers play a better non-conference schedule that Northern Iowa, Samford or Furman does, they might earn a wee bit more respect.

5. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Notre Dame twice qualified for a BCS bowl but was rightly left out - 2002, I believe, and one of Bob Davie's years. Maybe '98 after they were shut out in the season finale at USC.

But, as always, don't let the facts get in the way ...

6. zagoshe

I wasn't trying to be condescending, though that seems to be the approach that works best in these threads. All I was saying is that getting mad at Notre Dame makes no sense, they've capitalized on their history and created a very large, loyal fan base.

7. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

I was directing it at Bielema.

I'm in no way a Notre Dame apologist (the handle is a Ronald Reagan reference, not an Irish one). But this "Notre Dame always get into a BCS game" b.s. just gets old, when it's twice been proven to not be the case.

Don't like the rules, Brett? Think they favor the independent because of the two-team limit?

Strike it out on your own. No one's stopping you. Secede from the Big Ten so you don't have to follow the BCS conference restrictions. Then you can have all those advantages that Notre Dame enjoys as an independent for the Badgers, as well. No one's stopping you guys.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, the large and loyal fan base about as big as those who tune in to watch them lose. And if those tune out, ratings will drop.

9. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=519

10. zagoshe

I agree slappy -- there are probably as many people who hate them as love them and there isn't much of a middle ground.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm transferring to Wisconsin.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And while that's a cute, little fanboy poll, what I said is still true.
    It's one school. If it has a million fans, say, and OSU had 950,000 and Michigan had 900,000 and Tennessee had 850,000 and so on, say 10 percent of the rest of college football fans tuned in because they HATE Notre Dame. That's still more.
    A team CAN be the most loved and the most despised, fan boy... Case in point: The Yankees, the Cowboys, the Bulls under Michael Jordan, the Lakers with Kobe....

Draft saved Draft deleted