1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brendan, son of Maple Leafs President Brian Burke comes out of the closet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful story of the love between a father and a son. This most likely will not be a big story in the U.S. but is should be. Burke is perceived as a tough guy but this story shows who he really is.

JR -there is something about your thread thread title that bothers me. It seems a tad flip.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love hockey, but the GM of the U.S. Olympic Hockey team makes him about as famous here as the GM of the Canadian Olympic Baseball team is there.

And while some fathers might need some time to reconcile the info that their son is gay -- Burke has known for about two years (and for probably longer deep down) according to the article -- I don't know any that would disown their son.

While being gay is still a small minority, it's not so uncommon. I think that if you were to disown your son, you'd likely find yourself cut off from your family as a result. Most family members -- regardless of their personal feelings about homosexuality -- are still going to embrace the son and not a father who would disown him.

Good for Brian & his son, but I could write a similar story about any number of families.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, sorry, Boom, I didn't mean to be flip. Give me a thread title that you'd consider acceptable

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

So what is the response in Canada, JR?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, citizenship has nada to do with this.

My point is that Burke is the GM of the US Olympic hockey team and President of the Leafs---not exactly a nobody in the hockey world. People can decide whether either of these are important.

However, given the general homophobia in sports, does this story mean anything---not just in hockey but in the overall jock world?

If you think it doesn't, I'm fine with that. Just curious

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No idea. This story just broke a few hours ago

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

...what?

8. Machine Head

How does the sexual orientation of a family member affect how someone does their job?

Is that what you are asking?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Have you read the story on ESPN that I originally posted? This is about Brendan, not Brian Burke

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=4685761

You are applying to law schools right now. Hockey management and politics are two things you care about the most, and a law degree is required for both, so it leaves the door open for either. You say you would be lying if you said you don't think sexual orientation affects a job in pro hockey. You believe it would make some things more difficult. There are going to be people who aren't comfortable knowing they are working with a gay person.

That's not an unreasonable observation

10. Machine Head

My point is that Burke is the GM of the US Olympic hockey team and President of the Leafs---not exactly a nobody in the hockey world. People can decide whether either of these are important.

Well, you may be right but keep in mind that Burke is the GM of the US hockey team for the Vancouver Olympics.

The passages above are yours.

What are you asking? Is it about Brian or Brendan?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Wendel Clark and Glenn Anderson don't see what the fuss is about.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How about " A Story of Love Between a Father and Son"

I'm sorry but your tone just comes across as reveling in The Burke family agony.

Draft saved Draft deleted