1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brendan, son of Maple Leafs President Brian Burke comes out of the closet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And you have to hand it to Brian, the tough Irishman to stand squarely behind his son.

This is the Toronto Star story

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/730392--cox-a-son-s-secret-brian-burke-s-love?bn=1

The original story was published online on ESPN.com, written by writer/broadcaster John Buccigross, a friend of the Burke family

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=4685761

I would prefer Brendan hadn't decided to discuss this issue in this very public manner. There will be a great deal of reaction, and I fear a large portion will be negative. But this takes guts, and I admire Brendan greatly, and happily march arm in arm with him on this.

There are gay men in professional hockey. We would be fools to think otherwise. And it's sad that they feel the need to conceal this. I understand why they do so, however.

Can a gay man advance in professional hockey? He can if he works for the Toronto Maple Leafs! Or for Miami University Hockey. God bless Rico Blasi! And I am certain these two organizations are not alone here.

I wish this burden would fall on someone else's shoulders, not Brendan's. Pioneers are often misunderstood and mistrusted. But since he wishes to blaze this trail, I stand beside him with an axe! I simply could not be more proud of Brendan than I am, and I love him as much as I admire him."
    -- Brian Burke

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's hope for Wendy yet...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I read the Buccigross piece this afternoon, and thought it was very well done.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good luck to him.

But when the good old USA cannot even allow same-sex marriages in many states, I can see why athletes keep this private.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Since this is hockey and Burke may be the most high profile sports exec in Canada, this is going to be major news in the four Toronto papers, the three national sports TV networks and the two Toronto sports radio stations.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out (or not) in the rest of the sports universe.

Be curious how the American folks here think about this. Non-story because it's hockey?

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

What?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't see this being a big story.

Brian Burke isn't very famous outside of hockey circles. His son is less famous. And his son isn't an NHL prospect, he may want to work in hockey operations.

Besides, I don't think people are so homophobic that they'd much care. Would it be different if he was a top prospect? Yes. But he's not.

Does Burke's reaction say good things about him? Yes, but it's the response any normal father would have.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, you may be right but keep in mind that Burke is the GM of the US hockey team for the Vancouver Olympics.

I'm not sure that Burke's response is one that " any normal father would have". I suspect there are some fathers who would disown their sons.

9. Machine Head

Not sure where you're going with this JR, but I don't think Brian Burke's picture is going to be taken down off the wall at Braemar, if that's what kind of response you're wondering about.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think a father disowning their son over this would be the abnormal reaction.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering what the response of the hockey community will be. Maybe nothing.

12. Machine Head

What would it be if he was Canadian? Burke is dual, right? I'll check that.

I don't get where you are going with this.

So what if the father is GM of the US Olympic Team. What does that matter?

Edit: Brian Burke is dual. Not sure about the son. Does that change anything, JR?

Draft saved Draft deleted