1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breeders' Cup: Zenyatta races for immortality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

fuck

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That's just heart-breaking.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yup. Too little early. Hell of a horse, though.

4. 93Devil

He didn't spare the whip.

Why so far back?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can these espn buttheads pack any more stupid cliches into this broadcast?? Beyond horrible.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That's her style, folks. She's always last at the beginning.

With a better trip, she wins. But that's the trouble with that style.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

She's always that far back. Another 10 feet to the race and she wins, but that was still one heck of a finish. And there's absolutely no shame in finishing second by a nose after this career.

8. 93Devil

There's lagging back, but shit. I though she was hurt the way she ran the first half of the race.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

She's not always THAT far back. A good 10-11 lengths I can handle. But when Lookin at Lucky was 10 lengths back and she was another 7 or 8, at least, it was a warning. Especially in a race where they asked Smith if he'd want to make an earlier move. When he hadn't started the push as they entered the far turn, I had a bad feeling.

Course, I still jumped off my couch, yelling at my TV, rooting her on. So damn close to perfection.

I'm going to go re-read that Wright Thompson story now.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sigh. Once again a horse race is appointment TV, but the wrong one wins.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I actually think she validated herself in many respects today. She may still be the greatest mare ever. I actually thought she was kind of overrated going into this based on the field's she's beaten, but she did exactly what she does in every race, lay off the pace, explode through the finish. Fun to watch.

I sort of think Mike Smith isn't the right jockey for her in a race like this, but I don't know nearly as much about the game as some like Ben_Hecht and others who could better explain it.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Gotta love the drunk moron in the Packers hat, realizing he's on TV behind the winners circle.

Draft saved Draft deleted