1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breeders' Cup: Zenyatta races for immortality

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Nov 2, 2010.

1. You need to better for us tomorrow

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I missed the live broadcast of that race but walked in just as Borel was going mad. The first thing that crossed my mind was, I didn't know Carl Edwards and Brad Keselowski had mounts at Churchill Downs today.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I didn't have her, but the winner of that race was more-than-fairly priced, as well. Could'nt
    believe the 18-1 on the first flash. Paid better than 8-1, which was still good value.

Nice thing about 43-1 shots is that you only need one . . .

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Love that thing, when it's working.

Am undefeated, and may retire, so. Have some trouble with horses bearing out,
    but judicious whip work does wonders.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

They didn't give me a whip. I don't know why.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's accessible via the hand control. Trust me.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

You didn't get in a fistfight with Javier Castellano, by any chance?

Hope nobody was hell-bent on betting on Life At Ten yesterday. Hammerin' Hank keyed $210 in wagers, and five minutes later, John V was telling the world, in so many words, that this was money headed for a dark, smelly place in the sewer, never to be seen again.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That was pretty funny.

Castellano's a pleasant-enough fellow. Happened to marry Terry Meyocks' daughter.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Fistfight with Castellano also accessible via the hand control, right? He's the last person I would've predicted to be a participant in such a scene. Meanwhile, they kept indentifying the person dragging Calvin into the tunnel as his brother, but I could've sworn it was Shane Sellers, and if that was indeed the case, the only one missing was Nurse Ratched.

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Arc winner Workforce out of the Turf:

"The ground has not gone our way. There has been no rain and the ground is firmer than we would like for Workforce," Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager for Juddmonte Farms, said.
    "We have absolutely no complaints, but the welfare of the horse is paramount. Prince Khalid has always been a great supporter of the Breeders’ Cup and no one is more disappointed than he."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You could smell that coming, especially after Midday got beat, yesterday, and most of the other
    European turfers didn't get a sniff.

There are worse ideas than Soldat in the Juvenile Turf, especially if you're getting in the 6 or 7-1 range.
    He's the #9.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I was thinking the same thing about Soldat, especially after his best race came on a firm turf at the Spa, which did not get a lot of rain this year.

For what it's worth, I'm taking a hard look at Tizway in the Dirt Mile, which is a very bettable race, and my live long shot is Supreme Summit in the Sprint. He was flying at the end of the Ancient Title.

Then again, I have been absolutely, poisonously atrocious since about mid-August, including a complete bet-with-both-fists skunking on Jockey Club Gold Cup day. So under no circumstances should this be construed as advice; it's just for the public record.

Draft saved Draft deleted