1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breeders' Cup weekend

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tahoe_Joe, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Tahoe_Joe

Tahoe_Joe Member

Here's an interesting interactive preview:

http://lang.dailynews.com/socal/editorial/breeders/breeders.html?source=rv

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Five BC races Friday between 3:30 and 5:30 (Eastern).
    Nine BC races Saturday between 1:10 and 6:45 (Eastern).

Weather should be perfect (low 80s and no chance of rain). Big Pick 6 on Saturday has a guaranteed pool of $3 million. Good luck to one and all.

3. Frankyfiveangels

Frankyfiveangels New Member

Wow, really good stuff. Great execution.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Some glitches in there, but overall a terrific effort.

I'd love to go out there one year to see it in person.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wait two years and go to Churchill in '10, when they hold it over a real dirt track, rather than the plastic gunk they use at Anita.

WSJ writer stole my "plastic gunk" phrase in his BC writeup, today.

Niiiiiice.

6. trifectarich

Just finished my three-hour handicapping session. Whew! I need a cold beer . . . but not as much as I need some fast horses on Saturday afternoon.

For whatever it's worth . . .

My best play of the day is going to be Well Armed in the Dirt Mile.

I think the last three BC races have a good shot of being fabulous. There's a ton of speed in the Sprint (I give the edge to Cost of Freedom, who won at this track a month ago in 1:07.2) and I wouldn't be surprised to see half a dozen horses within two lengths of each other at the finish of the Turf.

In the Classic, I don’t profess to know what to expect out of Duke of Marmalade, Henrythenavigator and Raven's Pass; between them, they have 36 lifetime starts and every one of them on turf. You’d think for a $5 million race, the trainer would like to have at least one race in Classic conditions, no? Raven’s Pass and Henrythenavigator get first-time Lasix; Raven’s Pass also has Frankie Dettori up, which is never a bad thing in a big race. Certainly Curlin deserves to be the favorite, but I don't see him being a cinch.

Good luck to all, and let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't see that damn equine ambulance.

7. lono

lono Active Member

I've got Travis Henry taking the big prize.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hour and a half until Day I commences . . .

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Finished my handicapping an hour ago. Quite the slog this year with all those races.

My brother is much more into the track than me - he took today off to be ready for the races - and he has some Euro race contacts who inform him that Sixties Icon is the lock du jour tomorrow in the Marathon.

I started well on day one last year than went for a big shit.

Good luck to all this year.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Duke of Marmalade is a fantastic name.

I echo the good vibes for a safe weekend.

11. trifectarich

Really good ride by Garrett Gomez in the first BC race, the Filly & Mare Sprint, and the track is really fast. Winning time over 7 furlongs is 1:19.90.

12. Tahoe_Joe

Tahoe_Joe Member

Zenyatta wins Ladies' Classic!

Draft saved Draft deleted