1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breatharianism

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Breatharianism. Or Inedia. Has anyone ever heard of this? I came across it for the first time ever today.

Basically, people who subscribe to it, or believe in it, or whatever the correct words are, believe that they can live without food or water. That they can reach a state of consciousness where their bodies can survive without food or water.

Now, I am not by any means bashing a religious-type belief system. And I hope I don't get in trouble for posting something against a belief system, but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around this at all. To live without water??? I just don't see how that is even possible for a human body.

I have included two links below that I found with a quick Bing search.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/breatharian.htm

http://www.breatharian.info/

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

They're either lying or they're dying.

http://www.skepdic.com/inedia.html

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree. From the little I read, a lot that truly hold to it are dying. The ones that claim to be doing it (based on what I read) will not submit to any type of testing, so there is no way to prove or disprove them. Except for the fact that (to my knowledge) humans cannot live without water.

This came up because there was someone who was working temporarily at a place of employment where I know some people and the woman talked about it so constantly that it became a bother and hindrance for the other employees.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

On my obscure supplemental bucket list:

No. 243: Eat a box of Ho Ho's in front of Ellen Greve.

6. joe

joe Active Member

The general rule of threes: Humans can survive three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food. Unless you're drinking your own urine or eating fingers, you ain't going to last much longer.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So it *is* possible to survive at Applebee's!

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dick Gregory wonders what took you so long to get here.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There was one addition to the rule of threes I was taught at SERE school -- "and not one minute without hope."

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But by all means you SHOULD bash this particular religious-type belief system.

The fact that someone really believes that it's true doesn't change the fact that that person is an idiot.

11. I'll stick with basic biology and the laws of thermodynamics.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

People have a right to believe what they want.
    I have a right to think they are stupid and to call them stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted