1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breastfeeding: Is there a time and a place?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Nov 13, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, god, I hope so.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I think it was mentioned earlier that the question of the pool water pertained to the other people in the pool, because often times what goes in comes out very, very quickly.

And aside from his Prop 8 reference, I'm with hondo. Does everything have to be in your face all the time? As I said, I'm all for breastfeeding -- the health benefits, the bonding benefits. Wonderful, have it 'er.

But why in public? If the day should arise that it happens in the World of Flash, the only one getting an eyeful will be the baby.

I value my privacy in many respects.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You should switch your SportsJournalists.com handle immediately.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

No. The legend remains.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, only one infant and 1,000 users will ever know.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And now I'm confused.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Haha ... there wasn't that many only that night. Damn PMs.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And I can guaran-damn-tee you that you've sat near a woman breast feeding in public and NEVER NOTICED.. because it's not whipping the breast out, unless that's your point. It is so easy to do and not be noticed. I did. At a high school baseball game. While I was working. No one noticed. No one cared.
    I hate, absolutely despise, the viewpoint of men that breasts are beautiful wonderful amazing things to ogle whenever and where ever -- until a baby is attached. If you think like that, you make me sick.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Truth.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

So -- back to the topic of the original post -- is that possible in a swimming pool?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm mostly in agreement with Lugnuts, I Digress and waterytart on this thread (having had sisters who breastfed), but I also think we have to admit the possibility that people did notice I Digress breastfeeding and did a good job of making their awareness indiscernible. That's an undeniable dynamic in potentially awkward social situations, whether or not some people think there's no reason for the awkwardness.

If it's possible for her to be so convinced no one noticed that she's giving the guarantee she gave, it's equally possible she didn't notice (or have any way of knowing) their awareness of what was going on. The people working near her could easily be telling their friends, "I guarantee you she had no idea I noticed, but I did."

Either way, I think her underlying point is valid: There was nothing disruptive about it. Life went on. No one made a big deal out of it.

12. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

When? When the babe is hungry. Just be considerate to those around you. How hard is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted