1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breastfeeding: Is there a time and a place?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Agreed.

If my mom hadn't breastfed me until I was 12, I might not have gotten into UNLV.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ha! Well, the biological benefits taper off at around age 2.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Does Spaceman ever fail to deliver.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i believe is breastfeeding. all three shockeys were fed on my wife's lively breasts for a year or so. but...

we also believed in the pump to have bottles prepared for when we went out in public or visiting friends. mrs. shockey was not comfortable whipping out a breast to feed a fussy little shockster, nor did she wish to make others uncomfortable.

either we'd leave home with a pre-pumped breast-milk bottle or a formula bottle, since our docs always said one formula bottle in the daily rotation was fine.

seems to me a lot more kids are breast-fed only at home. as far as i'm concerned, those who insist on performing these duties in public are the ones with a problem, not those who find it tasteless. we know one in town who proudly breast-fed her boys until they were at least three. when she would do so at a kid's basketball game, it took all of mrs. shockey's powers to keep me from telling the woman off. i mean, she's sit in the stands among all of us and do it, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

yes, it may be the most natural thing in the world. JUST NOT IN FRONT OF THE REST OF US!!!

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If she has the right to breastfeed her baby in a public pool, I have the right to pee on her front lawn.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, it's Canada.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And please explain why one has ANYTHING to do with the other?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081113.wlbreastfeed13/BNStory/lifeMain/

Gideon Koren, director of the Motherisk program at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, says any arguments about a baby's welfare used to ban a woman from breastfeeding in a pool are based on "pseudoscience." And, "when people use pseudoscience to make scientific arguments, it becomes very suspicious. It's very aggressive nonsense."

As for the fear that the breast milk itself may contaminate pool water, Dr. McGeer dismisses the idea. Unlike urine and excrement, breast milk is sterile. "A little bit of breast milk getting into the pool is not an issue," she says.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How about common decency? Go somewhere private. If you know you won't be anywhere private, do what the Shockey family does and prefill some bottles. Christ, does everything, from breastfeeding to Prop 8, have to be in our face all the time?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The fact that you think breast-feeding and Prop 8 is "in your face all the time" says more about your narrow-minded view of the world than anything else.

But then you're the original "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!" angry old man.

If you're offended by women breastfeeding in public, stay in your house.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not easy. There are very few places that provide moms a clean environment to breastfeed.

This is a hard concept for a lot of people to understand, but breastfeeding in a public restroom has got to be one of the most repugnant thoughts ever.

I have pumped in a public restroom many times because I was working, but that was out of desperation. Then I had to sterilize the pump and dump the milk.

Everybody says "breast is best," but when it comes to actually helping moms out, forget it.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

do you wear a shirt when you swim in public, Hondo?

Draft saved Draft deleted