1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breastfeeding: Is there a time and a place?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm not against breastfeeding. I'm not against breastfeeding in public, provided there's some discretion taken.

But in a pool? Really? Absolutely necessary?

Ew.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/11/13/breastfeeding-pool.html?ref=rss

Cinira Longuinho says she's still reeling after being told not breastfeed in a Newmarket pool a few weeks ago.

"I was numb. I didn't know what to do. I was shocked. I was like why? What is all this? I was just breastfeeding," she said.

But the owner of the private pool said her priority is keeping the pool clean for everyone.

"It's possible that the child just finished drinking, having milk, is going to throw up or have a bowel movement," said Ellie Karkouti.

A few days later Longuinho and several her friends showed up at the Newmarket Aquacenter Swim School pool to silently protest what had happened. They were greeted by four security guards — at least one of them carrying handcuffs.

Longuinho says she is going to take her case to the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

"It was my human right. She violated my human right to breastfeed and I knew that," said Longuinho.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I once saw a woman do it in the middle of 11 a.m. Sunday Mass. Now, you'd at least think she would have stepped to the back of church and done it in the vestibule... but no.. right on the end of the pew...

This nuthead doesn't have a right to do it in the middle of a private pool. Now, she's not doing it because she's breastfeeding, but because she's stubborn...

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

A former classmate of mine has a full frontal photo of her breastfeeding her baby as her primary Facebook photo. I know there's such a thing as being a proud mama, but excessive boobage needs to be taken off the home page.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't kids still pee in the pool? Why would you feed your child in that environment?

I'm so grossed out by this. Can you tell?

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Indeed.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

pool, no.

church, no.

Facebook .... link?

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Upscale restaurant, yes.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a 100th Facebook friend.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Flash, I opened this thread expecting to post for the defense but -- in a pool?

Lots of babies have the "input on one end equals immediate output on the other" reflex.

Just gross.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Trouble is, if you read far enough down in the story, another woman in Chatham won a case against another pool by complaining to the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

Precedent has been set.

Gross.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It's a private pool. Doesn't that mean the property owner is well within her right to prohibit most behaviors as she sees fit?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really depends on who it is. Lets say its Brooklyn Decker- anytime anyplace would be appropriate for breastfeeding.

If its say Helen Thomas in public would be totally inappropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted