1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breast cancer 3 day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JoelHammond, Mar 8, 2008.

1. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Has anyone ever done this? I've heard a number of radio ads for it, a three-day, 60-mile walk.

But you have to raise $2,200 to even participate.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

dID A story on it for a corporate piece last summer...

http://08.the3day.org/site/PageServer

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is a Hooters in my area that has been promoting the 3 day walk. Their minimum pre commitment is $1500.
    Seems like a good way to raise money.

4. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I guess a friend of mine raised $2700 doing it, through letters and such. I don't think I could raise the funds; do they really turn you away if you raise $1,000?

5. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

My wife and two sisters were part of a team of eight women who did this last summer. Mrs. Seahawk and the sisters did so in memory of my mother, and the rest of the women were related to a woman who is a former participant, but now has been told she has less than a year to live. They each had to raise $2,200, and were all able to do so with plenty of room to spare. As a team, they raised between $25,000-$30,000.

They organized a fundraiser that had a three-pronged effort. A live auction, a silent auction and a raffle. The majority of the auction items were donated by area businesses and regional pro sports teams.

Two local bands, a solo artist and an a capella quartet all volunteered to perform at the event, which also included donated food items from local eateries and catering companies, as well as wine and beer, most of which was donated.

The amount of support they received from both the community businesses and those who attended was nothing short of amazing.

On the day of the event, my wife and I stopped by the local ice plant to get bags of ice for the event. The ice plant owner is the father of a childhood friend of mine, and when he asked why I was buying that amount of ice, he ripped up the bill and donated the ice on the spot. His first wife (a close friend of my mother's) had also died of cancer, and he felt it was the least he could do.

For those considering participating, it is well worth it. Don't let the fundraising hold aspect hold you back, as you will be pleasantly surprised by the generosity and humanity others show.

Draft saved Draft deleted