1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breakout Room

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Oct 25, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Sometimes subjects come up in other threads and it's easy to get tempted to respond and pursue those topics. Sometimes threads move so quickly that everyone has moved on by the time we, well I, see it. This thread is intended to be a catchall place for brief side discussions that might otherwise derail an ongoing conversation.

Splendid Splinter and TowelWaver like this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

To start:
    @heyabbott, I'm sorry to read about your daughter's wedding plans being sidetracked. How is she doing?

Hang in there. Have been dealing with this for a long time with some of my family. I have faith that one of my closer relatives will continue to have moments of clarity. We make a little progress and then they slide back, but I'm still holding on. Cluster B personality disorders are tough on everyone and some Masters and PhD level clinicians will not touch clients that have that Dx.

Ding danged Papists!!!!! (Said the Anglican...)

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking. We have the extra problem that my wife, her mother, has stage IV TNBC and we are lucky that she’s still alive and able to enjoy the wedding today. Who knows what will happen in the next 11 months. COVID and cancer have really fucked us over. so if pray for trump and his children and his supporters to suffer agonizing pain and loss, it’s from experience.

My daughter was resolved to have the wedding she wants rather than a small gathering in masks.

Dyno and OscarMadison like this.
  4. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement @OscarMadison . Sometimes I get those moments with my dad, too, but I haven't (yet) seen a long-term positive trend. I'm hopeful that some good will come out of the divorce and that he will reflect and that some distance and time will heal things...my expectation, though, is that he's been this way his whole life and unlikely to change. Partly so I don't get disappointed if nothing happens...I've seen him cycle through the rollercoaster a whole lot of times now.

I do appreciate the kind words, and hope there is something to what you suggest. Praying the same for your family as well.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I might have been Catholic in another life, but I'm no Papist.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A note here for @doctorquant -

Just wondering if anyone ever took you up on your matching donation proposal at the other place. If not, I have an idea.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think your DMs are open.

Anyway, just curious if anyone had taken up your matching challenge from a while back. I thought you and I could do something like it week to week until the end of the year.

If you're interested, please let me know.

Thanks.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If it's for a good cause, I'll gladly contribute.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wicked.

We'll see what we can figure out.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I just wanted to ask whether Mike Tyson's Punchout is racist or whether I have been viewing it through a modified lens.

My kid and I began playing yesterday and Piston Honda does not ring the same way it did in 1988.

maumann likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Piston Honda lol

And were they making fun of gays with that Flamenco pugilist?

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

CHARACTER STEREOTYPE
    -------------------------------------
    Glass Joe = effete Frenchman
    Pizza Pasta = exurban Italiano
    Great Tiger = Wearer of rare Bombay jewels

And so on.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted