1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking up the band (of cats)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 20, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife and I have four cats. Three of them are siblings my wife and her kids picked out as kittens in 1997 (!) after she kicked her first husband out of the house.

Those three have been a part of her household ever since, a household I only officially joined when we got married in 2004.

We came home from vacation on Saturday to find that one of them, a big male tabby, wasn't feeling well. I took him to the vet and it turns out he has suffered a collapse in kidney function. Not much we can do.

So this afternoon we'll have to bid him a fond farewell. I grew up on a farm and animal life and death is one of those things I accept, but this guy was a part of the family. I've talked to him every day for at least eight years, and seeing as how we were the only males in the house and both were rather fond of laying around, we got kinda close.

I have come home to a dead animal before, but I haven't been present when an animal was euthanized. It's gonna get emotional for both my wife and me.

And life around here will not be the same for any of us, the other cats included.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, HH. I've had cats off and on for more than 30 years and, despite their sometimes fickle ways, they're good pets.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Thanks. The actual scene at the vet's office wasn't so bad. My wife spent a few minutes with him, then went out to the car to wait. It was so clear that the big guy wasn't feeling well. He just closed his eyes and stopped breathing.

I took the day off from work. As I suspected, it was a rather somber night around our house. I think the other cats know something (bad) has happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted