1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING: Two dead, shooter "neutralized" in Portland mall shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Amazed that small-dicked whack job Ted Nugent didn't tweet this. maybe he was too busy threatening to rape someone.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

news channels up here are sharing interviews.

i saw a live interview with a guy who was just getting off work at the time of the shooting. he just missed getting shot, and after the gunman passed, he attempted to revive a person who ended up dying. he was a young dude, probably about 25. he wasn't sure if he was going to live or die by stopping to help, but he said "i had no choice but to try. i just had to."
    he obviously still was in shock.

he was locked down in the mall for hours before being let out and giving the interview. but when asked what he would take away from the experience, he said: "i dunno. i really think this will stay with me forever ... i really think this must stay with me forever."

quite unprofessionally, the news guy, at the obvious end of the interview, looked at the man, grabbed him by the arm and said: "(first name), thank you for taking the time to talk to us. all of us are incredibly happy you made it through this ordeal alive."

obviously you get what you pay for.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Guy was obviously looking to off himself. Why don't these lunatics ever go the Leaving-Las-Vegas route?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Because then they wouldn't be "remembered."

Senseless is too small a word for a tragedy like this.

I remember when mass shootings would shock me. Now we've gotten past the point of worrying something like this is terrorism and just figure it's a disgruntled boyfriend/husband/ex-employee/whack job and go back on with our lives.

I really hope the term "War on Christmas" isn't uttered again this year.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Because we live in the fucking middle east and need to protect ourselves from the radical muslims everytime we step outside our doors.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't forget the blue font, folks.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who lives in that area was headed to the mall Tuesday when she turned around because her son was throwing such a tantrum. She would have been in the food court with her children at about 3:15; shooting started about 3:30. She's crediting her son's tantrum for saving their lives.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I await a spirited defense of the high capacity magazine as a divine right.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I was looking at the comments section of the Oregonian and a thought occured to me: These idiots want publicity. I understand that part of their twisted logic. But in a couple of shootings, the shooter has wound up dead. Would it not be simpler if, should the shooter wind up dead -- either by his own hand or by police -- not to ID him? Only ID shooters if a trial (which the media will cover wall-to-wall, we all know that [let's be honest with ourselves]) takes place...?

The brother of an Aurora, CO victim told CNN he didn't want the shooter's name spoken. Well, if the shooter of such an incident dies, why bring his name up? In cases where the shooter lives, we are stuck with hearing his name. But I would have no problem with no ID'ing a dead shooter.

Thoughts......(and be kind -- nothing nasty needed)...? Just curious about the feedback.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Like the idea but that's just not possible in today's world.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Despite all the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" arguments, I don't seem to see many people going into malls, workplaces or movie theaters trying to kill as many people as they can with a chainsaw, 2x4, ninja star or blow gun.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I mentioned this to a friend of mine over the weekend. She said in the Aurora case, the fact that he had a high capacity mag actually saved lives because those tend to jam. I still think if you need more than 10 or 20 rounds to do what you want to do with a gun you have no business owning one.

Draft saved Draft deleted