1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING: Oil leak stopped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somewhere down the line there has got to be some benefit to BP for having stations carry it's brand. Otherwise why would they bother in the first place, much less pour cash into extra advertising for their dealers now?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back to Amoco. America, fuck yeah.

What the hell, go REAL old school:

[​IMG]

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

While boycotting BP's gas stations may or may not work, one thing you can boycott that will have a direct effect on BP is not buying the other products they make.
    Exxon got hit HARD when consumers cancelled their Exxon cards en masse after the Valdez. Also, next time you get the oil changed in your car (or if you do it yourself) avoid Castrol and Aral, both are BP products.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know how many BP stations there are - if any - in the Toronto area these days. But I am in Myrtle beach now and on the way down we stopped in North Carolina to fill up. The Citgo - where we went - was packed, the BP station across the street had one car in the lot, probably the guy working the counter.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pick your poison - support Hugo Chavez and buy Citgo support BP.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The only "fun" thing about this whole disaster (and I hesitate to use the word) is watching Shell try and run BP into the ground. I think they ran about 15 adds in last month's issue of The Atlantic hailing their own green intentions, and are now running videos showing how more responsible they are at drilling.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking. They may not be selling BP gas, but they almost certainly paid some sort of franchise fee or licensing agreement in order to have the sign out front.

Good tip about the oil. Which is a shame, because I've had good experiences using Castrol.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, so much for that. The ride's back on.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would it result in three days of oil flowing into the Gulf?

Can't they open valves in this cap & bring oil to the surface?

And wouldn't that relieve the pressure?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Probably not, when there's too many chiefs and they might be interrupting the big chief's life.

11. mb

mb Active Member

We're only 90 days in. Just gotta give BP a little time.

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Well, that doesn't make what I said bullshit. It just means that you're OK with boycotting your neighbor's business because you're pissed off at what BP did.

That's fine, as long as you recognize that "Tough shit, neighbor" is, in fact, the result. Not "Tough shit, BP," because it's unlikely to have any appreciable effect on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.