1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING: Oil leak stopped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

So, you're saying that we wasted less than 8 hours of burned oil?

It's a shame that it's ended up in the sea and on the beaches instead of in the air, where it belongs.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was going to be the joke I heard recently: You know the leak is finally fixed? They put a wedding ring on the well and it stopped putting out.

Ba da boom.

Seriously, I'm very glad it stopped. I damn near cry every time I see a bird covered in that mess.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

So they finally stuffed the BP CEO and spokesmen into the hole?

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just wait until fall, when migratory birds start going south. Unless they can get the cleanup done in less than 60 days, the scope of this disaster is going to get much, much worse.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did an anonymous plumber come up with the fix?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can barely see his cowboy boots.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But you can see boot imprints on his throat.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Before anyone starts sucking their dicks, that well has to withstand the pressure tests. It's probably a 50/50 proposition.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There aren't that many. When BP bought out/assimilated Amoco about a decade ago, they got rid of most of the independent dealers.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Or you could look at it that we use so much oil everyday that we literally can destroy the planet by Labor Day

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I am sure somewhere along the line for tax writeoff/liability reasons they sold them all off, but at the point where BP basically took over the Amoco brand, they bought out almost all of the old Amoco dealers.

I haven't really paid attention to the intramural oil company politics for 15 years or more, but when BP made the move to become the predominant brand, they got rid of most of the independent Amoco dealers. What they've done since then I don't know.

I have read numerous stories to the effect that most of the BP dealers who have any legal way to do sp are dumping their BP affiliation and signing up with other companies in an attempt to avoid the public backlash.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I worked at a BP full-service gas station right out of high school, when there was still two or three full-service stations left in my state. The station made nothing off the gas, just a couple pennies a gallon. The idea was the gas got people into the station, then we made money off changing oil, selling tires and doing minor repair work. The self-service make virtually nothing if the buyer uses a credit card at the pump, a few pennies a gallon if they come in and use cash. All their profit comes off selling chips and pop.

The company also sets the prices. Loved having the local yokels come in and ask me why it was so expensive (I think this is when it was $1.50 a gallon) and I have to explain corporate sets the gas prices because its their gas, not ours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.