1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Obama supports gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 9, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, that's what Romney will try to do, but his control over the Republican-media-screaming complex is tenuous. There will be plenty of talking heads ranting at Obama about this, and many of them will be prominent members of Romney's party. Not his fault at all, but it is his problem.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney still has to live up to this, or live it down.

www.gop.com/2008Platform/Values.htm

Your move, enlightened Republicans.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now that's leadership ! I wonder if his decision was influenced in any way by the LBJ quote being thrown around with the release of Caro book- "what's the Presidency for then?"

Not to detract from his decision but clearly this was well orchestrated starting with Biden on MTP and Duncan on MJ. Surely they did polls on top of polls to see how this would play.

Politically it puts Romney back on his heels and will make him look out of touch.

It also deflects attention away from the economy for now and buys them more time in hopes that by the fall things have turned for the better.

It's really going to be fun to watch things unfold now.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They aren't going to attack the opinion itself. They are going to attack his sincerity/believability. That's how they'll attack this.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's generational and it's a bit of a race issue. I will be curious if gay marriage is enough of an issue for seniors to vote for Romney. I will be curious if it will cause minority voters to stay home. I think it may cost Obama some votes with seniors/baby boomers...

As I said before, I applaud him for taking this stance.

If Romney is smart he'll never make mention of it.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Actually Dick, the headline I saw was "Obama flip flops, declares war on marriage"

For reals.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I also noticed the "he dared to mention his re-election bid at a taxpayer-funded event!" meme.

As predicted.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know about that. I don't see this helping Obama politically, which is a big reason why it's so cool that he did it.

Romney can make comments like "I'm more concerned about the economy." or "I haven't changed my stance on this issue." and then some wingnut group will start taking out TV ads during the general. Romney will distance himself from the ads, but still benefit from them.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm on FoxNews.com now and it has "OBAMA SUPPORTS GAY MARRIAGE" as the main page head and "Obama backs gay marriage, answering speculation on 'evolving' position" as the politics page hed.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's Fox News, not Fox Nation, which is one of its satellite sites.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really wonder how many votes this flips. I figure this is the latest non-story story of the campaign. I'd like to meet the person Obama "loses" because of this announcement. No doubt we'll hear from "Democrats" who were with Obama all along, but this drove them over to Romney, but really how many gay GOPers will flip because of this? How many conservative Dems will jump ship?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

David Gregory: Mr. Vice President, what about the students at Loyola University in Chicago? SHould they be able to buy bottled water on campus?

Joe Biden: “The good news is that as more and more Americans come to understand what this is about, it’s a simple proposition. What do you love to drink? What do you love?

I'm fully comfortable with a young Loyola student -- man or woman -- buying a Desani water, or an Aquafina, if that what they love to drink.

Statement from President Obama: When I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet when they come home, they can't get a bottle of Fiji water on campus, if they attend Loyola University? I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think students should be able to buy a bottle of water if they want to.

Draft saved Draft deleted