1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Obama supports gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 9, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The beauty of this announcement, too, is, like health care for all, Romney himself has what you might call a complicated relationship with the issue of same-sex marriage.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/29/nation/la-na-romney-gay-marriage-20120430

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, people essentially voted with their feet afterward. I read somewhere that schools are more segregated now, nationally, than at the time of Brown, which had the unfortunate consequence of triggering white flight.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Just because one tends to vote Republican does not mean he/she is socially conservative.

There are a lot of us.

And good on Obama, no matter the motive.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To answer Care Bear and DaMan, I was surprised by YF's reaction because of his steadfast refusal to acknowledge Obama's record on gay equality and his assertion that Obama's refusal to take a stand was worse than those who were actively working against gay equality.

His entire argument felt very much anti-Obama, instead of pro-same-sex marriage equality.

I'm glad to see I was wrong on that.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I said on the other thread...

I applaud him. This is the best thing he has done as president.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

For the record: Mitt Romney speaks at Liberty's commencement on Saturday.

7. Mizzougrad96

WFW...

8. Mizzougrad96

That would be a good place for him to say he supports gay marriage as well... :D

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Introduce his VP with a deep kiss on the stage?

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't see Romney making an issue of this. First of all, who's he going to pick up as a result? African-American voters who oppose gay marriage? "Culturally Conservative" Democrats in West Virginia?

Plus, he'll look "mean" and divisive if he tries to make a big deal of it.

To the degree it's a campaign issue, it will be made one by outside groups. Romney can state his position, which he did again today, and this issue should mostly go away among the Presidential candidates.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Fox Nation headline: 'Obama Flip Flops On Gay Marriage'

http://nation.foxnews.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted