1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Obama supports gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 9, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Look, we've had Republican Presidents "support" the pro-life position, but do nothing to move it forward.

Lip service might not mean much, but he is the first sitting President to endorse gay marriage. That's going to mean a lot to millions of people.

In will help lessen discrimination in general. It is about changing hearts and minds. This will help.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is way too analytical. I like the "I am concerned" thread better!

But as I said there, I think his belief is genuine, and the rationale from his polling and campaign folks is that it will help him with turnout among young voters, which is always a question. They also could look at the map of toss-up states -- I'm thinking of Colorado specifically but there may be others -- and conclude that he may gain votes there while any big losses are in states he isn't likely to win anyway.

Pretty big swing issue in Massachusetts in case Romney wants to ride the home-state storyline.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just a tangent: I just recently learned that Ike was a segregationist when Brown v. Board of Education came down. Tried to pressure Warren against the decision.

Bringing it back to this: The most important recipient of today's message may be Anthony Kennedy.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

It doesn't help him electorally. It just doesn't.

But, still, good on him.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

At the least, Obama already called off the Justice Dept. from defending DOMA.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The timing is curious. Why now? Everything he says and does influences the election one way or the other.

Why come out and now and state an opinion?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your attitude concerns me

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I've been a dick to you elsewhere, but here we are in solid agreement.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Energizing fund-raising?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

To bring it full circle, it makes moderate Republucans like Chris Christie look even more cowardly.

They should have had the guts to do what President Obama just did.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted