1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking: Obama supports gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 9, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://abcnews.go.com/

Awesome.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The gamble of the millennium in a tight race. Maybe he's confident that Romney will stumble to a goofy response, or maybe he thinks Romney will say something that can be used to paint him as a bigot. On the other hand, it could push the Teep off the fence and firmly into the Romney camp, as far as actively working for his election.

I'd like to think this was principled on Obama's part, but I honestly can't assume that.

3. Dick Whitman

LBJ lost the South forever because of the Civil Rights Act.

Sometimes right is right.

4. dooley_womack1

I'm not saying it wasn't right. I'm just not 100 percent sure he did it on that basis.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is a Big Fucking Deal.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As one who's not able to see what he's saying real time, is he going anywhere beyond simply endorsing the movement, i.e. suggesting what he might do to move it forward?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're a gay teenager, scared, and maybe ashamed of your sexuality, today is a great day.

It does get better. The President of the United States is on your side.

8. dooley_womack1

"Same-sex marriage should be legal." Maybe doesn't answer most of your question, but he did make an unequivocal statement.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Technically, he went back to the position he had, personally, in 1996.

Politically, he's still saying the states should settle the issue.

So it's not like Adam and Steve can rush to the courthouse in North Carolina right now.

But, yeah, this is still a Big Fucking Deal.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He can damn sure push to get rid of DOMA, however. He might not be able to force North Carolina to marry Adam and Steve, but he can force the IRS to recognize Adam and Steve's Massachusetts nuptials.

11. Dick Whitman

I suspect that he just is going to use the bully pulpit to advance the movement. Short of a Constitutional amendment or Supreme Court decision, it's not really an issue that can be handled on the federal level, via statute. I suppose they could use the spending power to tie state funds of some related source to legalizing gay marriage. I guess that would be the next step, similar to how the feds pressured states into lowering the legal drinking limit to .08 by threatening to withhold federal highway funds.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

*applauds*

Draft saved Draft deleted