1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking News: Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 23, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is the point, and why people are wondering if he is getting off easy. The grand jury was already convening in Atlanta and the prosecutors were already saying they were going for the superceding indictment when they got him to plea. I am not commenting on the quality of the case they actually might have had or if Vick's back was actually buried in the wall, because I don't know. I'm just saying, from what I do know, and what has been reported, you have to wonder how confident Vick would have been potentially going to trial on more serious charges, when it was his property, they have the dog-fighting business, dead dogs all over the place and people pointing fingers at Vick saying he did those things. Could they have gotten him to take the plea while fessing up to the more serious admission? It is a legitimate thing for people to be wondering about right now.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

That's all well and good, and probably 100% accurate. But is still does not mean that he has to plead to killking dogs and gambling when those charges never were brought.

Every story I'd read all week was that he was pleading guilty to the conspiracy charges and nothing else. Is he getting off easy? Yup!

Is it "breaking news" that he will not admit to killing dogs and gambling? No, because never has it been said he was plelading to those charges since those charges never were brought against him.

If people want to be outraged that he was not charged with those crimes, so be it. Fact is, he was not charged with those crimes, entered a plea probably to avoid those charges being brought and therefore is not obligated to admit to anything other than conspiracy in his allocution.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No evidence? No evidence?

There are several dogs that show signs of fighting, fighting equipment and blood-stained carpets all removed from a property Vick owned, and there is some evidence that Vick provided funds to pay for all of the expenses associated with the kennels. In addition, if all of that left some reasonable doubt floating around, there are three witnesses who actually saw Vick kill the dogs and participate in the fights. There's also other evidence, such as his rather-eager-to-talk father and various people who will say they saw Vick at these fights.

No one is arguing that Vick should be pleading guilty to something he's not charged with. Stop acting as if they are. What several people are wondering, though, is why in the hell are prosecutors gift wrapping a deal for him when this seems like a very easy win.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Any plea deal that gets anyone even slightly off the hook is bullshit. Ratting on others and avoiding embarrassing trials should not be rewarded. You either committed the crime, or you didn't, and if you did, you should be given the proper punishment.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

From Pro Football Talk:

spnited, he can admit that he didn't have anything to do with killing them, but it sounds like, in my POV, that he's an accessory to the crime. An accessory, IIRC, is just as guilty of letting a crime take place, even if they had no part in it. In other words, he could have stopped it if he wanted to, but he chose not to do so.

If that provision is in the federal law book, then the argument that it's not a crime to stand and let the crime happened is moot. If Vick is saying that he had no part in the actual crime, then he has to prove it to Hudson that his boys were lying about what he actually did. That sounds like someone is lying.

After reading most of it, something isn't jiving

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because you and me and everyone else don't know how easy it is to win. Because we don't know that some idol-worshipping jury (or juror, it only takes one to hang a jury) in Atlanta might not believe the testimony (see: Simpson, OJ)

What the Feds got was a plea that will put Vick in prison and the effects of that will end his life as he currently knows it.
    The standard NFL contract says it can be voided if a player is convicted of or pleads guilty to a felony. Think Blank isn't going tovoid that contract?
    Goodell can and probably will suspend him for life.
    So Mike Vick does 12 or 18 months in prison and comes out with no job, no money, no nothing.
    Works for me.

7. The Big Ragu

Spnited, I don't know why you keep harping on the current indictment. That is weeks-old news. His circumstances changed. When his co-defendents flipped, so did the charges he was facing. They had the grand jury sitting already, enough to definitely get much more serious indictments (if you can get a ham sandwich indicted, he was a turkey sub), and they were DEFINITELY going to try to throw him in jail for years if this thing goes to trial. Whatever plea deal he accepts is to avoid the more serious trial, not his current indictment. You're not considering his reality if you think this is about the current indictment on just two conspiracy charges. The charges you keep saying were never brought against him were almost DEFINITELY being brought against him without some sort of plea deal. So it is news.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Im sick and tired of hearing things
    From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
    All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    Ive had enough of reading things
    By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
    All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
    Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
    With just a pocketful of hope
    Money for dope
    Money for rope

With just a pocketful of soap
    Money for dope
    Money for rope

Im sick to death of seeing things
    From tight-lipped, condescending, mamas little chauvinists
    All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth now

Ive had enough of watching scenes
    Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
    All I want is the truth now
    Just gimme some truth

With just a pocketful of soap
    Its money for dope
    Money for rope

Ah, Im sick and tired of hearing things
    From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites

Ive had enough of reading things
    By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, D-3 fan, HE IS NOT CHARGED WITH KILLING DOGS. The prosecutors appraetnly used the threat of that chrage to get the plea they did.
    He doesn't even have to mention killing dogs in his allouction because he is pleading to conspiracy and running an illegal dog-fighting ring.

Again, many of you seem to mbe missing the point in your overwhelming desire to see Vick "nailed to the wall."
    He copped a plea to avoid further charges. It is done every day of the year in every court in America. Killing dogs or gambling IS NOT PART OF THE INDICTMENT OR PLEA AGREEMENT.
    I understand if you think he is getting off too easy, but for God sake understand the facts of the plea agreement.

10. The Big Ragu

No one would ever admit to a crime, then. Even if you are guilty, you are better off going to trial and at least having a chance at a jury verdict that lets you walk. From the prosecutor's perspective, a plea puts a guy in jail, while a trial can potentially let a guilty man walk. Even if you put your chances at 80 percent, you still worry about that 20 percent in which he wins the lottery and walks. And trials are very costly, so when you get someone to plea, you save the taxpayers money. You're not looking at it from a very utilitarian or practical standpoint if you think it should always be trial by jury for everyone, at any expense, rather than taking the certainty of some, but reduced, jail time in exchange for saving the expense of a trial and the possibility of a not guilty verdict.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

boston.com is saying Vick has admitted to killing dogs as part of the plea.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2007/08/24/vick_files_plea_in_court/

12. All right. Time to shut your pie hole spnited:

"The summary of facts accompanying the plea agreement obtained by the Journal-Constitution says Vick was aware four dogs were killed in 2002 and six to eight dogs were killed this past April as a result of the "collective efforts" of Vick and two of his co-defendants."

Full story (Vick pleads): http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/24/vick_0824.html

Draft saved Draft deleted