1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking News: Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned that the Feds were set last Monday to hand down additional charges, but Vick held that off by saying he was going to plead guilty?

Now that Vick has shown his cards, the Feds are going to counter with what they have in their pocket.

I am guessing they are holding pocket aces to Vick's 10 and 5 unsuited.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wait a second. So just because something is in a indictment dosn't mean he's being charged with it?

3. 93Devil

Kordell Stewart did it just as miserably as Vick.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

If he is not indicted on those charges, they are not part of the indictment.
    There might be uncorroborated testimony to certain "facts," but the only charges brought against Vick were conspiracy and operating a dog-fighting ring.
    I repeat, HE WAS NOT CHARGED WITH KILLING DOGS OR GAMBLING.
    He is pleading to the charges brought against him... nothing more, nothing less.

And 93Devil, the Feds used the threat of additional charges to get Vick to plead out. They are not going to add charges after they have a plea agreement.
    Basicailly, the way these deals usually work is the Feds say "plead out to these charges, we'll make a sentencing recommendation and we won't pursue these other charges. Or, you can keep fighting us and get your sorry ass in even deeper shit."

The deal with the Feds, however, does not preclude the Commonwealth of Virginia eventually filing additional charges.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spnited, It has been my understanding that if this thing goes to trial they are going back for the heavier charges. They indicted him before the co-defendants rolled and pointed the finger at Vick. I don't know the specifics of what the prosecutor has to comment with certainty, but even if the guys who pled are now convicted felons and not the best prosecution witnesses, it doesn't sound great for Vick if they go to trial with them saying Vick personally killed the dogs, which they found buried on Vick's property. It sounds like that is where this is heading if he doesn't plea, which is why based on what is being reported, there are some people wondering if they are letting him off too lightly without making him admit to those things as part of the plea, in exchange for them going lighter on him than what happens if they go to trial with greater chargers and get a conviction .

6. 93Devil

A plea agreement is worthless if the Feds do not accept it. If they feel it is not truthful, they will throw it out and continue prosecuting.

A plea come with an elocution. This is a detailed explanation of the crime committed. It cannot be selective it what was done and not done.

7. 93Devil

And trust me, the backbone of their case is not the testimony of a couple second-rate thugs.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why do you think he's pleading out to the conspiracy charges, Ragu?

He still doesn't have to admit to killing dogs or gambling because that is not what he is pleading to.

9. If you pay someone to kill dogs then you killed the dogs.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Feds already have accepted the plea, 93. Can they change their minds and go to trial? Sure. But that is not likely.

And, again, even if Vick allocutes to the crimes committed on the conspiracy and dog fighting chrages, he does not have to address gambling and/or killing dogs because he has not been charged with those crimes.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spnited, I think he is pleading to ANYTHING because he is fucked. Goodbye millions and his prime NFL years and very possibly his whole career and hello jail time. If they don't have him dead to rights on something, he is going the Kobe Bryant route and taking his chances. I can't say, because I don't know exactly what the case looks like and exactly what Vick will admit to lessen the potential pain of a jury conviction to greater charges, but based on what it sounds like, it's legit to at least wonder if he is getting off lighter than he could have, if the prosecution allows him to plea without those admissions.

Would you want to be the guy saying, "I don't know anything," when they have a dog fighting ring taking place on your property, dead dogs buried all over the place, and a bunch of people pointing fingers saying you did all kinds of horrible things? He's willing to admit that he was there and saw everything, but that he didn't personally take part in the barbarism and betting. How likely do you think that is--to most people considering what is plausible and to a potential jury?

But either way, the indictment that they brought against him likely isn't the indictment they are going for in a jury trial now. That changed when the co-defendants rolled on Vick.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

But Ragu, they never brought another indictment because he is pleading out. That's the obvious reason for his plea, to avoid the "superceding indictment" they were preparing.
    As of now, there are no other charges being brought against him...only the ones he is pleading to Monday.
    What might have happened if he went to trial is a whole other story... but not really a story since it isn't going to happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted