1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking News: Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I can't take the Leonard Little responses anymore. I think everyone agrees that Little got off incredibly light and I can definitely see why people point it out to show that some people care more about dogs getting killed than humans, but here's why we need to stop it: It has nothing to do with Michael Vick. Little has had his day in court and he was disciplined (or not) by the commissioner at the time. Goodell can't go back and suspend him for 2 years. He can with Vick. Vick committed a felony, and he will be dealt with, and I can assure the judge won't take into account what sort of punishment some other guy got for a killing someone while driving drunk.

Hey O.J. got off for murder, should we excuse all future murderers because he got off easy?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Considering that he was NOT indicted on any charges of killing dogs or gambling, I'd say you are correct cran.
    But please, we can't let such minor facts get in the weay of a good bloodlust, now can we?

Once, again, Vick was indicted on two conspiracy counts. The maximum penalty if he were convicted is 5 years and $250,000. He is pleading guilty to the charges that were brought against him...which make NO mention of gambling or killing dogs.

What is it that you people don't understand?
    Would you plead guilty to something you were not charged with?

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

He might not have been indicted on charges of killing dogs or gambling, but someone is lying because one of the co-defendants has said, in a signed statement of fact, that Vick DID kill dogs.

And now we've got his dad saying he's been doing it since 2001 and also doing it in Newport News.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Look, I'm not defending Vick in any way here. But if he was not charged with a specific offense, why is he supposed to plead guuilty to it?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's more than obvious you're defending vick, spirited. :D

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Each has HUGE credibility issues, too. Easy for a defense lawyer to pick apart in cross-exam without any corroborating evidence.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Actually spnited, I'm pretty sure the indictment said that Vick killed and gambled on the dogs.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Chuck, he was never charged with killing dogs or gambling. He was charged with 2 counts of conspiracy.
    Those are the charges!
    That is what he is pleading to!
    There were stories that witnesses testified to the grand jury about killing dogs and gambling but there were never any such charges filed against them or Vick.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

But he's not pleading guilty to killing and gambling on dogs.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yes but the co defendants told the grand jury that it was Vick who killed the dogs and gambled on fights.
    If this source is true, then the judge would be put in a tough situation because someone would be lying to him.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

No one is lying, Chuck.
    Vick is pleading guilty to what he is charged with. How is that lying?
    If the prosecutors couldn't make a case and get an indictment against Vick or any of the other co-defendants for killing dogs and gambling, then that is not part of the indictment or the plea.

Tell me, who is lying?

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

he's pleading guilty of revolutionizing the game! viva vickball!

Draft saved Draft deleted