1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking News: Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Vick's attorneys have no control over their client. Do you remember when he went on the Atlanta radio show? There is no way they allowed that, and I do not think they think this plea will actually be accepted.

That said, they may have talked Vick into taking a guilty plea, but he still has to agree to stand up in court and state what he did. I do not think he is agreeing to admit to everything. He is "selectively guilty."

Judge should throw it out. No question.

Imagine if Bonds admitted he took steroids, but only for one or two weeks in 1998. I would not buy that either.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not stepdad.
    Dad.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Michael Vick pays his lawyers, not the other way around, therefore he is the boss.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Please, Roger Goddell, ban this guy for life. Regardless of the legal system's negotiated justice.

It's the only way we'll be able to balance, or even stomach, years of hearing, "Listen, Michael never was convicted of killing any dogs. Michael never was convicted of gambling." Which, we all know, is how Vick's supporters will try to shout down any opinions against their guy.

Then we'll see Vick himself, at some press conference some day, reminding a room full of us that, "I never was convicted of killing any dogs. I never was convicted of gambling. I'm glad to be back, and hope to lead your sorry-ass, desperate-for-publicity football team to the playoffs. Come on out to the games, suckers, and throw more money my way."

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Reminds me of night in high school, when buddies and I drank anything we could get our hands on: Beer, cheap wine, vodka mixed with both. Ridiculous. I staggered home, quickly got past the folks and went to bed.

Next morning, Dad: "You were drinking last night, weren't you?"

Me: "Oh . . . uh . . . yes. You're right. I had a couple of beers with my buddies."

Dad: "See? See? I knew it! Knock it off."

If he only had known the full extent of it. It's the weasel approach, no doubt.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yeah, let's do that.

And allow Leonard Little to continue to suit up every Sunday.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How long of a sentence would Vick get for both conspiracy counts?

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

4 games. ;D

my understanding is he's still looking at the 12-18 month range.

9. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace ... ."

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Has it occurred to any of you that the prosecutors may not have a case against Vick for actually killing dogs and gambling because, as crazy as it sounds, those things would need to be supported by actual evidence?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

but, but, but, they've got T and Q. That's not believable enough for you?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd guess that possibility has occurred to most people who are interested in the case. What made you think it hasn't? Most people probably have also read about the dead dogs that were found on the premises and the co-defendants who flipped and have pointed the finger at Vick, stating that he specifically engaged in those acts. They probably also take into account that Vick has a ridiculous amount to lose by accepting a plea deal (aside from going to jail, he is an NFL QB earning millions and is in his prime) and made an educated guess that his lawyers think the government has something for there to have been any chance that Vick might accept a plea deal--which means he goes to jail, loses at least 2 or 3 years in his prime, and possibly never plays again.

Draft saved Draft deleted