1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BREAKING NEWS: SEVERAL PEOPLE SHOT NEAR EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 24, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If only more people carried guns so they could just shoot the bad guys!

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Most shooters just practice firing from a stationary position at stationary targets. They struggle when they start running Practical Pistol courses, where you must run, then fire at smaller targets. Combat shooting - like in this instance - is even more difficult. I thought I was good with a pistol under I attended some combat shooting courses.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If only we had laws against killing people.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Remember, guns don't kill people.

Support your local NRA. [/bluefont]

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How do you define terrorist?

In the broader sense, it could be anything. To the people involved in today's event, I'm sure it was just as terrifying as Sept. 11, 2001. There really doesn't seem to be a number involved to qualify as a terrorist.

The shooting at the movie theatre in Colorado was terrorism, too.

6. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

that time of day, in that location, probably a lot of citizen journalism footage out there...

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I need to know more about these courses, please.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The latest.

www.nytimes.com/2012/08/25/nyregion/several-people-shot-one-fatally-outside-empire-state-building.html?hp

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or shoot the police.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wrong.

EDIT: I should clarify that statement based on a little research. I initially posted that because I have several friends who are cops and they shoot a minimum of once a month, often more, to stay sharp and in practice. However, they are only required to qualify twice a year. NYC police are also only required to qualify twice a year, I think, but it would seem safe to assume most of them practice before going for their qualification test.

I still wouldn't say police rarely fire their weapon. I'd assume most do it on a semi-regular basis at the range. They rarely fire their weapon in the line of duty is an accurate statement.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Beginning to sound like all the wounded bystanders were hit by police. No one's sure if the gunman fired on the cops, or just drew his weapon.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which I am sure will be of the customary high quality that term implies.

Draft saved Draft deleted