1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking News: Obama's passport breached by State Dept.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

There's definitely more to this story. There were 2 employees fired and 1 disciplined. The one who was just disciplined appears to have brought the breech to someone's attention just this week. Then further investigation showed the 2 earlier breech's.

Dumb question, but what could be in someone's passport file that could be damaging exactly? Or is it just the privacy thing in general?

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I was just joking by the way. Could've been just a couple of pencil pushers who were bored and curious, or some vast right-wing conspiracy! Or it could have been Hondo or Yawn confirming trips by Obama to Tora Bora to consult with bin Laden.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Considering who's hiring at Foggy Bottom right now, I'll go all in on GOP.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

G. O. P.

Nosing into other people's business . . . a modern GOP tradition.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Who bet on Clinton? AP reports her file was also snooped: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/state-dept-punishes-aides-for-obama-passport-breach/index.html?hp

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that a former Clinton flunky is in charge of the Bureau of Consular Affairs and the breaches happened on, or near, the dates of a Dem primary and a Dem debate.

The Clintons would NEVER consider bending the law to benefit themselves.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Hillary and McCain, too!
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/21/obama.passport/index.html

So much for Hillary conspiracy theories. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

This is interesting from the story:

Huh? Never heard of that.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why this would even be done in the first place -- if someone was granted a passport it means they likely aren't known terrorists or running from the FBI so what info was someone looking to find?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Reply #6, this page.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Other than it would give you access to a list of every place the person has visited the only thing I can think of is that it would give you access to the person's SSN. From there you could access just about any kind of information.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Shit like this is the reason I have nothing to fear about warrantless domestic spying, right?

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you are the US government, you can figure out a way to get to someone's SS# without having to break a law or two....

Draft saved Draft deleted