1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Breaking News" alert for a taped tv show?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jul 31, 2013.

1. So we had a local kid do very, very, very well on Teen Jeopardy tonight. Set a record.

The problem: Was taped a while back. Like 5 months ago.

We had a feature on the kid this week before the show aired (tonight).

After it aired, my paper sent out a breaking news tweet/email and blasted it across the top of the website.

Granted the outcome was NOT known until tonight -- kid and family had to keep it a secret -- I ticked off some newsroom coworkers when I remarked "Breaking news" should not involve taped events.

Of course, my paper sent out breaking news alerts when the major (and only) hospital in town decided to turn off its Christmas lights after the Newtown shooting.

Did I over-step my grounds?

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

I don't think having an opinion is overstepping anything. Though I think the news value of someone winning a game show is somewhat dubious in the first place.

On the flip side, when I worked in a college town ol' State U. won a couple of ESPY awards. The ceremony was staged and shown a few days later on tape but we had a story on it in the next day's paper. And we got a bunch of pissed off emails/letters/phone calls from people because they said we ruined the show for them since they already knew the outcome.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's breaking news if Alex Trebek say it's breaking news.

4. Oooohh .. I'm sorry, but your answer must be in the form of a question.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

For a hyperlocal newspaper, this definitely is breaking news. Do you notice how your feature story didn't come five months ago, when he actually competed?

No one cares about how long ago the show was taped. It's airing now. They don't know the results. They're watching now. Or they forgot to watch and want to be told what happened.

So no, you didn't overstep your bounds. You were just wrong.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Local newspaper has just learned....covers a multitude of sins.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit!

8. Central-KY-Kid will now think twice before putting a cross country result up as breaking news.

9. Actually, a sister paper wrote a feature on the kid in January. The writer was a former staffer of ours. We saw no need, at the time, to write our own feature on the kid. So we re-ran the sister paper's story.

FEATURE FROM JANUARY: http://www.laruecountyherald.com/content/sonora-boy-lands-spot-jeopardy

News? Yes.
    Follow-up feature (or two)? Definitely.

But "breaking" news?

I never said it wasn't newsworthy. But I don't think "breaking" should be used in this instance.

Of course, our sports team -- 90 percent of what we write/cover is preps -- has a rule that nothing is "breaking." If there is a "breaking news" tag on a sports story on our website, it's because the A/News section designated it as such. Not us.

Unless a sinkhole opens up during a race and the runners fall in (or someone dying in a race), I can't imagine anything cross country related being breaking news.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My favorite scene in All The President's Men is when Ben Bradlee is chewing out Woodward and Bernstein for trying to say their story was breaking news.

"I don't care how high up you just found out this goes, that break-in happened months ago. This is not fuckin' breaking news."

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I agree with Versatile here. In the case of something like this that's embargoed, it counts as breaking news when the show airs. If you were given an advance copy of a city budget that has deep cuts and layoffs but were asked to hold it until the next morning (not uncommon), would you not send out breaking news on a story for it because technically you and the city councilors had it earlier? I know the time frame and level of newsworthiness is different, but it's a similar idea.

And no sports gets breaking news? What about state titles? Do you not post the stories right after games?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If your sports team has a rule that nothing you write is breaking, then you should consider revising that rule.

Draft saved Draft deleted