1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Breaking new ground ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 11, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Oxford (Miss.) Eagle will begin routinely interviewing high school athletes as part of its coverage:

Edit - Found archival link:

http://www.oxfordeagle.com/archives/2006/0806/080706-081106/080906/sports2.html

As I understand it, the paper's formal policy under its previous sports editor was not to talk to high school athletes.

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I am jelous. Very, very jelous. Three high schools, what a dream come true.

I know it is obviously a small town, but we have three high schools on one street here.

3. Pops

Pops Member

Is it my imagination, or did Davis write this like he just fell off his toilet and drew the flux capacitor?

Next thing you know those "prepsters" will be demanding TV coverage too. There's no end to this ...

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

this is hilarious!

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My first thought when reading that was: When is he going to get to the point?

Second thought: How many times can he used the word change in one article (11)

Third thought: Why the need to write this at all?

Fourth thought: I hope all his stories aren't so long winded.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Unfortunately, I can no longer read what you're talking about.

Apparently, this paper has five URLs for the latest sports news, and that's it, and just keeps rotating new stories in over the old one.

Not saying that condescendingly -- it's a small operation, obviously, and that's where they are with the 'Net right now...

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Don't laugh...

My old rag, a 7-10K a.m. daily, did not allow athlete interviews, save an occasional feature.

The publisher and ME felt, for whatever reason, said high school students were incapable of providing anything of substance.

Needless to say, I didn't stick around long.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd say about 30-40 percent of high school kids are worthless to quote

40-50 percent are pretty good

10-20 percent will give you better quotes than you'll ever get from a coach or pro.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

There's usually one or two kids on a team that are reliable quotes.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

When I was in school at Ole Miss, I think more locals got their news from the school paper -- and, obviously, Memphis, Tupelo and Jackson -- than they did from the Eagle.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, they have local stories archived. Just took me a while to find it again, and it's linked at the top.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good grief. Did this guy dislocate his shoulder while patting himself on the back?

For chrissakes, he's not reinventing the wheel. If you're going to talk with the athletes more, just do it. No one needs a breakdown of recent meetings to make this revelation.

Draft saved Draft deleted